Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What if smoking was banned in 1776?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
On a related toic, this being the 4th of July. I took my daughter to Philadelphia last month and one of the places we visited was Independance Hall. This is the actual building and actual room where our Founding Fathers hammered out and finally signed the Declaration of Independence . I snapped a few pictures and noticed all the tables had pipes on them. Like most people of the time they probably all smoked like chimneys. Seeing those pipes got me thinking... What if the mass hysteria of "no smoking anywhere" was in effect back in 1776? I can see it now, the Declaration of Independence would never have been ratified because everytime a vote was taken half the delegates would have been out in the alley sneaking a smoke!

Long live tobacco!

Indep. Hall.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

leverhead

The anti-smokers are too feline to revolt, the 4th of July would just be another day. In the end I'm glad enough people would stand up to pee.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If tobacco use had been banned in England as well as the Colonies, then King George would likely have given the worthless and rancorous colonies to France, free and clear. Vive la libererté!

Bob

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
If tobacco had been banned, we'd have lost the Revolutionary War. Millions of tons of tobacco was promised in trade to the French, to pay for their support and war supplies.. Washington, Jefferson, others grew tons of tobacco for decades after to re-pay war costs.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Actually, if smoking had been banned I imagine we'd be sitting around today having a spot of tea and maybe a go at some Cricket!... no offense meant to our friends across the pond!

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcL

Interesting. I think if, lets say legislation was two hundred years advanced.
I'd like to think that there would be enough time to figure out that tobacconist and anti-tobacconist disagree and should segregate.
Is it about having the choice or keeping others from having one.

It seems like it sometimes.

I always feel better knowing when there are no others that disagree. For me it's about pleasure.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Jitterbugdude

Long live tobacco!

®IMG_0073ut.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.