Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Destemming whole leaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamsoul

this is the worst part, remove the steam , and i dont see many ways to do it. I take the steam from the top and whit two fingers rip to the bottom.

Ben Brand

Looking at that old machine, it amazes me what people can come up with, some of the old machines are works of art!!!!
I just gently tear the leaves of and make different piles, ligero-seco and volado, then bind them into hands. EASY!!! :cool:

buck

I've got my leaf at around %70 and having issues removing the mid rib by hand without tearing the leaf unless I go really slowly. Reverted to using a utility knife which is a bit tricky with folded and curved up leaf but manage to get a better cut this way.

squeezyjohn

I've got my leaf at around %70 and having issues removing the mid rib by hand without tearing the leaf unless I go really slowly. Reverted to using a utility knife which is a bit tricky with folded and curved up leaf but manage to get a better cut this way.

+1

I've read all the documentation and seen people do it in videos ... but the skill eludes me! I use scissors!

DGBAMA

The leaf naturally wants to fold with the upper surface inward, leaving you to remove the stem from the back/underside of the leaf. I started this way, and had many torn leaves. Not a big deal for shredding, but not good for cigar.

Much better results by folding the leaf the opposite way, with the upper surface outward, and pulling the stem from the upper surface of the leaf.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For me, leaf is easiest to stem when the lamina are in case, but the stem has not yet had time to fully hydrate.

For wrappers/binders, I stem one side of the leaf at a time. For everything else, I usually fold the leaf and start removing the stem near the leaf tip, working toward the base. For me, sometimes the stem comes out more easily from the upper surface, sometimes the lower surface.

However you do it, the fingers grasping the leaf should land on each secondary vein, to prevent the lamina from tearing.

Bob

rainmax

Founding Member
Much better results by folding the leaf the opposite way, with the upper surface outward, and pulling the stem from the upper surface of the leaf.

I saw this on Cuban video.
Try it few times but I have better results the way Bob described. I need to make another movie how to stem the leaf. Some shortcuts for shredding tobacco. With my english is impossible to describe.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Another sound tactic is to begin the tear at the tip of the leaf and work towards the butt. The lamina vein angles will direct any tears back towards the main stem instead of away from it.

DGBAMA

Another sound tactic is to begin the tear at the tip of the leaf and work towards the butt. The lamina vein angles will direct any tears back towards the main stem instead of away from it.

I always start at the small end.

Matty

Good video. I've tried the "wrap around the hand/wrist technique" once in awhile but all I get is a mess of torn leaf lol.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...all I get is a mess of torn leaf.
I've fiddled with this method over the past few years. What I've found is that successfully stemming a leaf by wrapping it around your hand depends on two major factors.

First is the leaf variety. Some leaf just won't hold up to that stress, regardless of the case.

Second is the case of not only the lamina, but also the stem. A sturdy leaf must be in high case. The stem needs to be very flexible, but not soggy. A stiffer stem will rip the lamina. A soggy stem will tend to de-laminate, leaving remnants of soggy stem attached to the separated leaf halves.

I suppose that the ideal situation is to have a large supply of similar leaf in the same state of humidification--like the circumstances in a factory--so that you get a feel for stemming that specific batch. I've always had such small batches of varying leaf in an assortment of case, that I've never developed the patience to perfect this hand-wrapping method. Seems like it would be a breeze.

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
well... this year i got me a '' old school'' paper cutter... with the gelateen type '' long blade''

i figure i can de-stem 30+ leaves at once,

Status
Not open for further replies.