Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco - Other Uses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs BeeKeeper

Apart from smoking / chewing, I've been reading up on other uses for tobacco.

PAPER:
Will and I are going to try using the ribs from our tobacco to maker paper. Not necessarily rolling papers, but just general paper. Has anyone else tried this? Would you ingest nicotine by handling, or is it not enough potency for contact absorption?

INSECT REPELLENT:
I've heard that tobacco (nicotine) can repel certain insects. Has anyone made a spray? Or is it just the whole plant?

- Mrs B

(Is this in the right sub-forum? It's not consumable by mouth, but it's providing for the household.)

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Apart from smoking / chewing, I've been reading up on other uses for tobacco.

PAPER:
Will and I are going to try using the ribs from our tobacco to maker paper. Not necessarily rolling papers, but just general paper. Has anyone else tried this? Would you ingest nicotine by handling, or is it not enough potency for contact absorption?

INSECT REPELLENT:
I've heard that tobacco (nicotine) can repel certain insects. Has anyone made a spray? Or is it just the whole plant?

- Mrs B
USE EXTREME CAUTION with ANY solution made from tobacco. IT IS EXTREMELY TOXIC! It is used as an insecticide among other things. It can kill you.

Paper made from ground stems and scrap is a large part of the filler in big tobacco's cigs today. If you can grind it up and make a slurry you should be able to make paper that you could use for rolling cigs. CAUTION That slurry should NOT​ be handled with bare hands or ingested.

Mrs BeeKeeper

USE EXTREME CAUTION with ANY solution made from tobacco. IT IS EXTREMELY TOXIC! It is used as an insecticide among other things. It can kill you.

Paper made from ground stems and scrap is a large part of the filler in big tobacco's cigs today. If you can grind it up and make a slurry you should be able to make paper that you could use for rolling cigs. CAUTION That slurry should NOT​ be handled with bare hands or ingested.

Good to know!! I hadn't read anything about it being toxic!! SCARY!!

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Good to know!! I hadn't read anything about it being toxic!! SCARY!!

One drop of pure nicotine can kill an adult human. If ingested, the body will likely expel the nicotine and you'll just be really sick. If the nicotine is absorbed through the skin (ie. spraying tobacco insecticide) there is no way for the body to expel it and it could be fatal.

Technically, there is enough nicotine in a single cigarette to be lethal.

Yes, very scary.

webmost

First time I've heard this. If that's the case then how to people get away with chewing it?

johnlee1933

Founding Member
First time I've heard this. If that's the case then how to people get away with chewing it?
You absorb some nicotine thru the mucus membranes in your mouth. Most of the rest you spit out. There is a LIMITED transfer. If you swallow the plug the bodies protective mechanisms kick in and you loose the plug and your lunch at the same time,

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I just filled an order for some fancy restaurant in the Napa Valley. I'm guessing they're going to infuse something with tobacco...probably ice cream or maybe wine. They'll likely end up with a bunch of sick customers.

I probably should include a disclaimer on the new site that explains tobacco is poisonous and have the customer acknowledge it by clicking a box that they read it before they can place an order.

CYA brother, CYA

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Jeepers

Can it be detoxified like fugu?

In the manufacture of Hookah tobacco, the leaf is washed to remove the nicotine. I'm not sure how much tobacco flavor is left after it's washed though. Hookah tobacco is highly cased and flavored and the tobacco is used more for a matrix or carrier for the flavorings because it still possesses the typical burning qualities of tobacco even after it's been washed and dried.

BarG

Founding Member
I just filled an order for some fancy restaurant in the Napa Valley. I'm guessing they're going to infuse something with tobacco...probably ice cream or maybe wine. They'll likely end up with a bunch of sick customers.

I probably should include a disclaimer on the new site that explains tobacco is poisonous and have the customer acknowledge it by clicking a box that they read it before they can place an order.

CYA brother, CYA

In todays day and age it is a good idea to CYownA cause most likely no one else will. The same with the age disclaimer. I started when I was 10 yrs. old. I figure cig. retailers and govt. have lost about 6 grand from me in the last 3 years.

Mrs B. I have a pile of stems on the floor by my shredder cause I wait till they are piled up enough to warrent bending over to pick up and discard. Saying that I should put a box or bucket there.;)

BarG

Founding Member
There are times when you want to leave it uncovered such as this morning, when I was making coffee and my wife gave it a nice squeeze!:D

Mrs BeeKeeper

There are times when you want to leave it uncovered such as this morning, when I was making coffee and my wife gave it a nice squeeze!:D
Unless she has cold hands! I often have cold hands. And I chase Will with them. I sneak up and put them under his shirt. HAHA!

Status
Not open for further replies.