Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Really Easy Perique Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Perique process does not need charring. Nor does it need a "starter" culture. Tobacco comes with its own coloring and microbes. It's also not clear what the extent of microbial processes (vs. the expressed intrinsic enzymes and the relatively anaerobic conditions) contribute to the process.

If you go off the rails trying to liken it to making whiskey or beer or yogurt, I think it only confuses the matter. Any specific research on the involved biochemical and possible microbial processes of the Perique process would be welcomed.

Bob

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
Just watch the vid again and it is old whiskey barrels they used. They have obviously been charred before the whiskey storage but wether they go through another charring before the perique is added I don't know, I assume not. I'm not sure weather the barrels I'll be getting are charred but I will likely char them if they are not then store some of my, well, you know, in it for a bit just to mellow out the barrel, add flavour to my strong drink, and try to duplicate the martins style the best I can.

holyRYO

"Perique" some flue cured (with it's natural sugars) to make tobacco wine. Throw that in a still to make tobacco "brandy". Age that in charred oak barrels to make tobacco "bourbon". Then sell it to the gastromes who want to eat tobacco. Gourmet.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
"Perique" some flue cured (with it's natural sugars) to make tobacco wine. Through that in a still to make tobacco brandy. Age that in charred oak barrels to make tobacco "bourbon". Then sell it to the gastromes who want to eat tobacco. Gourmet.
Or have a really strong death wish.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Just watch the vid again and it is old whiskey barrels they used. They have obviously been charred before the whiskey storage but wether they go through another charring before the perique is added I don't know, I assume not.

Are you sure they are charred? The Perique process makes a black goo that would coat the inside of the barrel. The older barrels were made with Hickory. I'm sure Percy's were a combination of Hickory barrels and Oak.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Boboro,
Did you use the PVC rig to make pressed plug or Perique?

workhorse_01 said:

That article is a technical article regarding mass spectrometry analysis of the vapors trapped above a sealed packet of Perique tobacco (i.e. the volatiles). What is actually interesting is the lengthy table at the end that demonstrates the mind-boggling mixture of well-described aromas. Unfortunately, they did not repeat the analysis on the smoke of combusted Perique. Also, the intro material is partially copy-and-paste myth.

Bob

BigBonner

Founding Member
Step
1 Get a whiskey barrel
2 Take the top two rings off and pry out the lid .Then replace the two metal rings .
3 Take two inch white oak boards , cut and splice together to make a lid the size of barrel opening .
4 moisten the tobacco if dried to much ,wetter the better , Water dripping is ok .
5 place in whiskey barrel half full and press tightly
6 Add more tobacco and repeat step 5 until you can not get any more tobacco in the barrel .
7 Press at 7000 pound pressure
8 Add water to cover to the top and slightly running over the outside of barrel
9 Wait a few days and un pack the barrel then re pack it all back
10 Add water if you need to after pressing , But give the tobacco a hour or so to press all the juices out before adding water .

You will see the juices turn a thick brown almost black and it will bubble and ferment under high pressure .
If it isn't bubbling then you need more pressure .
cb74QtX.jpg

chillardbee

Are you sure they are charred? The Perique process makes a black goo that would coat the inside of the barrel. The older barrels were made with Hickory. I'm sure Percy's were a combination of Hickory barrels and Oak.

I had watched that video again and he did use old whiskey barrels. They are white oak and they are always charred prior to filling with whiskey. I don't think they rechar them though but I would imagine if they didn't wash them prior to pressing the perique in it, that some good flavour would come from that.

Just one of many vids on the whiskey barrel production

Boboro

Boboro,
Did you use the PVC rig to make pressed plug or Perique?

That article is a technical article regarding mass spectrometry analysis of the vapors trapped above a sealed packet of Perique tobacco (i.e. the volatiles). What is actually interesting is the lengthy table at the end that demonstrates the mind-boggling mixture of well-described aromas. Unfortunately, they did not repeat the analysis on the smoke of combusted Perique. Also, the intro material is partially copy-and-paste myth.

Bob
Just plug, but it does seal and I will try it this winter.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Just plug, but it does seal and I will try it this winter.
In Louisiana, the leaf is allowed to mostly color-cure, to the point where only the leaf stem is not yet cured. It is stemmed, then prepared to go into the press. Following that approach, you could start a batch of Perique as soon as you have a sufficient quantity of leaf in which the lamina are browned.

FmGrowit's Perique (I sampled some from two different methods) was made from very well cured leaf. BigBonner's Perique used fully color-cured leaf. Since, in both cases, the leaf stem was also fully cured, it could be made into Perique with or without the stem in place.

Bob

Boboro

Ill have to wait, unless I can catch a rainy day. The plug in the pic. was sent to Knucks. Dont rember how long it was pressed or what he said bout it.

chillardbee

BigBonner

Founding Member
The perique process does use barrels. BUT they line with wax paper first. This is evident in the 10 year old barrel they just opened as well as other articles about the perique made in La.

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-t...tage-decade-series-perique-tobacco-announced/

From what I have seen and know they do not use wax paper or plastic during the fermentation time .
I would say they lined the barrel with plastic and then drained most of the moisture off the barrel . The plastic would be there to keep the Perique from drying out during the long storage .
Here is a video that may help .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfMuU3lUo4A

Status
Not open for further replies.