Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Blackberry season is here who has a good wine recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Blackberry season is here and I hope to pick a bunch of wild blackberries and I would like to make a good sweet wine with some of them .
Now who will give up their family secrets ? Step by step instructions .

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My neighbor makes the best homemade wine I've ever tasted. I'll try to get a recipe from him. Do you have the wine making equipment? Your best bet for starting may be to order the wine making starter kit that has all the equipment, and then start using your own berries. Get away from the packaged powdered stuff as soon as you can and start using real berries. You can make it too sweet real easy, my crazy cousin got into it and ran the wine twice and put waaaaay too much sugar in it. It had a kick like liquor but was so sweet I wanted to hurl. I called it sugar cane brandy. :) It was awful. But my buddies wine is sweetened just enough so that it's kind of a sweet and sour kind of taste like the good bought wine. I really like it. You can taste the fruit or berries without the taste being overpowered by the sweetness. You actually just add sugar to taste, so you'll just add sugar till you like it.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Probably the most important piece of equipment you will need is a Hydrometer. It is used to measure the specific gravity of your wine before and then after it is done. This will tell you the % alcohol of your finished product. It will help you immensley in refining your recipe. The other thing to consider is the type of yeast you use. Some yeasts will die off at a certain alcohol content. You can you this to your advantage by adding a little extra sugar. The yeast will not be able to ferment all of it so you will end up with a sweet wine.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Im set on equipment , Hydrometer in hand .
I have a few different types of yeast , Red Star Champaign (2 Packs ) , Lavlvin (2 Paks) , Saflager s-23 ( 1 Pak ) ,WYEAST Direct pitch 4.25 FL OZ , Alcotec 24 hr turbo .

one 5 gallon water bottle . I also have a 6 gallon bucket with a screw on lid .

workhorse_01

What is the # on the Lalvin yeast Lalvin is specifically designed to carry the floral essence over to the wine. But the time of year it is you need the correct # for the temps. we are seeing, EC1118 has the widest temp range and will ferment to about 16% ABV. I used it for about 2yrs. Fermaid k is also made by them and is a very good nutrient.
I have a few different types of yeast , Red Star Champaign (2 Packs ) , Lavlvin (2 Paks) , Saflager s-23 ( 1 Pak ) ,WYEAST Direct pitch 4.25 FL OZ , Alcotec 24 hr turbo .

squeezyjohn

I don't know if american blackberries are the same as the ones we have here in the UK, but I have always found that "pure" blackberry recipes always end up lacking any bite - tasting rather insipid as a result and the best success I've had has always been when I've done a blended recipe with a more acidic and tannic fruit like elderberry or plum. Pure blackberry wine has very little body too and I would advise adding a pound of over-ripe bananas to the recipe to give a nice mouth feel.

As for fruit wine recipes - I gave up on following them years ago as each batch of fruit has different properties from year to year. But my basic process is as follows:

Gather the fruit and taste it to see how sweet, acid and tannic it is. If it is soft fruit like blackberry - weigh it and place in a bucket and wash thoroughly - for each gallon (UK gallons I'm afraid 1 imperial gallon = 1.2 US gallons) of wine you want between 3 and 5 lbs of fruit depending on the amount of flavour in the fruit and how strongly flavoured you want the wine. Just cover the fruit in boiling water, wait for it to cool and then crush it with a blunt instrument or clean hands - add pectic enzyme and stir well - cover and leave 24hrs. The next step is to add the sugar in syrup form to the mix - 3 to 3.5 lbs of dry granulated sugar for each UK gallon will give a normal kind of alcohol % around 12-14%. Make the syrup by putting in a pan with just a little water and the juice of a lemon and heat until dissolved. Add the syrup when cool. Make the volume of the wine up to the amount you are aiming for + 15% to account for the fruit pulp and taste the juice - it should have a similar sweetness, acidity and tannin content to pure grape juice - if not add citric acid or lemon juice and tannin powder (or very strong brewed leaf tea) until it does. Take your hydrometer reading at this point and adjust sugar upwards if a stronger wine is needed. Pitch your yeast and leave covered with a secured cloth in a place that is around the 70s Farenheit to get started.

Once the fermentation is started and you can hear it bubbling away and smell the carbon dioxide coming off - leave a further 5 days to extract the flavour from the fruit and skins stirring daily. Then strain through a sterile cloth in to your final fermenting vessel. It's best to allow gravity to do the work as squeezing the bag can lead to wine that doesn't clear well. If you don't have enough liquid - wash the pulp - strain again - and heat up the wash with extra sugar to feed the yeast and to reduce the dilution effect. Fit an airlock to the fermenting vessel and watch those bubbles!

You can either just leave the wine to ferment and leave it on the sediment formed for a sur-lie type wine which has yeasty flavours - or for a more pure tasting wine you should rack it whenever a clear hard sediment has developed (siphon off the liquid to a new sterile jar leaving the sediment behind) - I don't always do this but it does help the wine to clear faster.

After several months your wine should have completed fermentation - you can keep it going by topping up with syrup whenever you rack - or just let it ferment out with the initial sugar. After the bubbles have stopped completely wait a good week before checking with the hydrometer and by tasting to see what sugars are left and if required - stabilizing and backsweetening the wine before bottling.

The key to good winemaking though is to never let it come in to contact with any surface that is not sterile - I use sodium metabisulphite solution to sterilise everything. That way it won't turn to vinegar.

johnlee1933

Founding Member

When I brewed beer the 5 gal bottles worked very well. Don't forget the vapor lock for the bottle tops. You can make them with a cork and some plastic tubing if you don't have any.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Lalvin K1-V116

I have a couple of air locks for the bottle

What is the # on the Lalvin yeast Lalvin is specifically designed to carry the floral essence over to the wine. But the time of year it is you need the correct # for the temps. we are seeing, EC1118 has the widest temp range and will ferment to about 16% ABV. I used it for about 2yrs. Fermaid k is also made by them and is a very good nutrient.

Mrs BeeKeeper

OOO, Will should be in on this, he makes great wine. Me, I make desserts. Like no-bake blackberry pie. Although, now that Will and I are trying to not buy packaged foods, my recipe will have to be tweaked.... you guys make the wine, I'll make dessert, and we'll have a feast!

DonH

Figure about five pounds of fruit for each gallon of wine. A six gallon glass carbon jug will make two cases of wine, a three gallon one will make a case. So for a 5-6 gallon recipe take 20 lbs or blackberries and put them in two 5
gallon food-grade plastic buckets. Split the blackberries into two halves and put each half into the plastic buckets. These will be your primary fermenters. Smash the fruit. Add water so that the total volume between the two buckets is about 7-8 gallons. Like JBD said you'll want to get a hydrometer. They won't cost much at a beer and winemaking store. Take a cup or so of the juice out and test the specific gravity with the hydrometer.

Unless you are making wine from wine grapes you will have to add sugar. For a sweet wine, shoot for a specific gravity about 1170 to 1130-1135. If this sugar got all fermented out you would have an alcohol percentage of 18%. Most yeasts can't ferment that high, so the I fermented sugar will give you your sweet wine. If you want more sweetness at the end you can always add more sugar at the end once the alcohol is high enough to prevent any more fermentation.

Next crush the fruit and sugar mixture and test the specific gravity again with the hygrometer. Make any adjustments either by adding water or sugar. Add in some potassium metabisulphite which you can get in any homebrewing and winemaking store. Cover and let sit overnight for 24 hours. This kills the wild yeasts and bacteria on the fruit. Then add a packer of wine yeast. A good all purpose yeast is Champagne yeast which ferments out to the highest alcohol rate of any yeast and has a clean, neutral flavor. But any red wine yeast will do fine. These are
cheap and can aslo be obtained and a wine and beer aming store. Just don't use bread or beer yeast.

Cover the buckets with a clean towel and either tie it on the bucket with a big rubber band or just place a plate on top of it. Within a day it will start foaming. Twice a day "punch the cap" and stir. This gets the fruit solids that float to the top mixed back in. It also aerates the "must" which is important at tthis early,
"primary" stage of fermentation.

After 3 or 4 or 5 days, the fermentation will slow down and it will be time for secondary fermentation which will take place in the 6 gallon glass carboy jug. Squeeze out the fruit solids and seems using a filter bag or cloth of some kind or a wine press if you have one. Place the liquid in the carboy with a stopper with a hole in it and fit a fermentation lock in the stopper. All these things can also be bought at one of those stores. The fermentation lock will let carbon dioxide gas out and no oxygen or contaminants (vinegars cultures for example) in. If you have excess liquid it's good to use a gallon jug to ferment that. That will give you extra to top out the main fermentation jug after syphoning.

When the fermentation crawls to a slow place and a bunch of sediment is at the bottom of the jug a week or so) it's time for the first racking (syphoning). Buy some clear plastic hose at a hardware or at the winemaking store. I also like to have a glass syphoning tube that has a little bowl you can put on the end that can be inserted into the hose. The idea is to syphon the liquid off the sediment into another carboy. Put the fermentation lock on the new carboy and let ferment slowly for a couple of month, then rack again. Here is where you will need extra to top off after each racking because you will lose volume from the sediment.

After the second racking let it sit for three months and rack again, let sit for three months more, then bottle. With each racking there will be less sediment. You want your end product to be clear, not cloudy.

squeezyjohn

Another completely different approach which I've had some success with is to juice the fruit using a modern juice extractor (centrifuge type) and give the juice a quick boil to kill off any nasties naturally occurring in the juice. Then adjust this juice to create the correct kind of liquid to ferment ... water to dilute overpowering flavoured juice, tannin in the form of powder or tea, acid in the form of citric acid granules or lemon juice and sugar to get the correct specific gravity and potential alcohol strength.

That method tends not to extract quite as much flavour from the skins of the fruits but is way cleaner and can be put directly in the carboy for fermentation and has very little problems with clearing later. If you have a lot of fruit it can be the way to go. If you get it right using no added water the flavours can be very intense in a wine like this.

I suppose it all depends on whether you have a juicer of some description whether you go for this method. But a scratch recipe looking back through my notebook would be:

To make one UK gallon

6 pints of fresh blackberry juice
4 ripe bananas
3lbs granulated sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup of strong (stewed for 30 minutes) tea
Yeast and 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient

Bring the blackberry juice to the boil in a large pan with the bananas suspended in a muslin bag - chopped up with the skin on. Stir in the sugar until dissolved and when cool add the lemon juice and tea. Transfer to the first fermenting bucket and suspend the banana bag in there. Pitch the yeast and nutrient and stir with the banana bag daily for 5 days. After the 5 days are up simply pour in to the final fermenting vessel and ferment out. This wine was great for me - one of the best blackberry ones I've done about 13% alcohol and a medium sweet and very easy. My batch omitted the tea which I've added to the recipe for next time I try it.

So to step up the recipe to 5 US gallons which is 4.17 UK gallons:

4 US gallons blackberry juice
12.5 lbs sugar
a dozen ripe bananas
juice of 4 lemons
2 US pints of strong tea
Yeast and 2tsps nutrient

DonH

You have a buffer of 50*F - 95*F so try to keep it cool if you use the Lalvin. I have had very good success with Lalvin.
Yes, Lalvin is great yeast. The people who work in the wine/beermaking stores can help you pick the right type.

TheOtherOne

I'd avoid the himalayan blackberries if they grow there. Himilayan giant is the one with the five fingered leaves. They produce huge wonderful looking blackberries that taste like garbage..

janetta007

I have a few seeds of Garden Huckleberry that I am giving a shot at this year. I also found this recipe but it is not a wine recipe.
Huckleberry Jam
Wash 3 lb fruit, add ½ pt water, and boil until the fruit bursts and is tender. Add 5 lb sugar and juice of 2 oranges and 2 lemons and bring to boil. Add a knob of butter to reduce foaming, maintain a rolling boil for 2 minutes, take off heat and add 1 bottle of Certo. Bottle in sterilized bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.