Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The Bee Forum

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Wait for some freezing weather they do not over winter in the nest.(I think) The workers die. Some queens might be in there. But if they are like Yellow Jackets the Queens over winter under dry bark. Think wood pile.

Thanks Ishi.

Boboro

I put a very big one on my wall. As it started to warm up the hornets started to come out. Thar must have been 200 of them in the house. AndI was very unpopular.I had to let the house stay cold for 2 days to find them all.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I found carberator cleaner kills em like "FAST". dont use wasp spray. I carry a can for work. Had hornets every where last year. Pulled out 2 cans and went to work. They wont even atack you, the spray sucks the life out of them instantly. DONT spray it on something ya want to eat and wear gear for battle just incase one gets by.

Southern Planter

Its on the stupid thing Ive done list.

We were building a bridge. The contractors next door had a giant lattice crane, about 200 tons. The hornets built a nest in the shiv wheel. Bubba climes up the boom to the shiv and laces his legs into the lattice, and hanging upside down sprays the hornets nest. It was kinda like watching a guy slip on a banana peel.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
When i was a kid Sears sold a breed of bees called Midnight Bees. Am I the only one left alive who remembers them? I would love to raise the little critters again in my orchard.

I believe they are still sold by some bee breeders. I think they are a cross between Carniolans and Caucasians.

If I remember correctly there was also a line called the starline too, Maybe not by sears but another company. Back in those days (70's-80's) you had choice. Everyone was selling nuc's, packages, queens, cells of either caucasians, carniolans, and Italians or a hybrid of anyone of the two. I still remember getting 37 2# packages from a van isle beek w/carniolan queens back in 1990. Those were great bees and even made honey on them that year.

The bees these years are catered to the commercial guys now and not much diversity is out there. Sue Colby is working on a line of caucasians that look good. She already has the 'new world carniolans' That I would dearly like to get my hands on, I'm partial to the carniolans but I'll take anything that produces honey by the 100's of #s.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
If I remember correctly there was also a line called the starline too, Maybe not by sears but another company. Back in those days (70's-80's) you had choice. Everyone was selling nuc's, packages, queens, cells of either caucasians, carniolans, and Italians or a hybrid of anyone of the two. I still remember getting 37 2# packages from a van isle beek w/carniolan queens back in 1990. Those were great bees and even made honey on them that year.

The bees these years are catered to the commercial guys now and not much diversity is out there. Sue Colby is working on a line of caucasians that look good. She already has the 'new world carniolans' That I would dearly like to get my hands on, I'm partial to the carniolans but I'll take anything that produces honey by the 100's of #s.

We had some of those Starline bees in the 70's and 80's. Great bees. Good producers and very gentle. Back then we didn't have all the pests and diseases we have now. As long as they had plenty to eat over the winter they were pretty much maintenance free. We currently keep the Italian bees now, also very gentle. Sometimes those little black honey bees will take over a nest and you better watch out, they're mean.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I got my nest last night. There was only one hornet still alive that I saw and I used the hyper drive windmill on speed technique on him and laid him low. It was him or me.

nest in tree.JPG

I'll keep it in the back of the truck under the camper shell until it passes the dead larvae, dead bee stinky phase. Wiki said as long as I kept it out of the weather it would be good to go and keep indefinitely.

harvested nest.JPG

Brown Thumb

I would be afraid of it getting wrecked back there.
unless you don't drive the truck.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I won't be driving it for awhile. Rifle season comes in this weekend and I get to my stand on the four wheeler. The nest was about 25 yards from where I hunt. I've been rifle hunting in Ga. till the Ala. season comes in.