Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Growing Shade Leaf on the windward side of a mountain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Is it possible to grow Shade Leaf in an eternally overcast condition and achieve the same results as growing under a tent? Are there any mountainous areas on the west coast that create this condition?

original.png

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
As far as I know.. yes.. that's what the original Sumatra wrapper was. It was grown in Sumatra where they get mostly cloudy days.. or at least that was what the literature from the 1880's says about it. I think it could probably be grown succesfully as an understory crop too.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Eureka, California, on the coast about 200 miles north of San Francisco (272 by the highway), was chosen as an aviation training base by the military during World War II, specifically because of the near constant fog.

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Who are our west coast members? Doesn't Seattle have more cloudy days in a year than anywhere else in the country?

i think seattle having bad weather,,,,was a rumour started by the locals, to keep tourist's from moving there,,,,
allthough i aint buying it,,,, i think washington state,,and oregoen has the most moist weather,,,of all the states,,,

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
where I live in vermont seems to rain every 2-3 days, I didn't water at all except after transplant and I just did that because I always did in florida (and then water again every 2 days thereafter or everything would die) if I would have planted the evening before a forecasted rain I could have gotten away with never watering once.the flip side to these seemingly ideal conditions is that I think all my tobacco is nicotine free. At least is I have never chewed or smoked a leaf yet that told me there was anything in it

BarG

Founding Member
Has anyone tried growing in simply partial shade conditions, I had plants grown in full sun and some in partial sun and the difference was dramatic, the full sun plants had very thick leaves while the partial sun plants have leaves you can see through and grew taller and more spindly stalks, all from same seeds of mc.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Has anyone tried growing in simply partial shade conditions, I had plants grown in full sun and some in partial sun and the difference was dramatic, the full sun plants had very thick leaves while the partial sun plants have leaves you can see through and grew taller and more spindly stalks, all from same seeds of mc.

it's my assumption that baccy should be grown in full sun,??? my 2 cents<------

Status
Not open for further replies.