Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

when seeds do not want to germinate:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
When I studied history surrounding the seeds, I read about how to do when you get hard sprouted seeds to germinate (Better) ..
-Anyone here who tested the Following method?

Resuscitation:

When the seeds arrive at the Nordic Gene Bank cleared first damaged specimens removed. Then dried the Remaining to 3-5 percent moisture remains.
Germination tested by the seeds placed on filters and placed into groningsskåp with a humidity of 98 percent.

- To Stimulate germination, various chemicals used, Such as a 0.2 percent solution of potassium nitrate.
Plant hormones Primarily the groningsstimulerande gibberelinet, can be added overpriced. If the seed still has not germinated within two weeks trying to find out if the error is physiologically and anatomically, and if there is anything more we can do.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
There are some guys here that have used Potassium Nitrate and Giberillic Acid. I have not tried either one but maybe the guys that have will respond.
I do know that Giberillic Acid has to be used in very, very tiny amounts, something like parts per million.

JessicaNicot

you can also try soaking in a 2% bleach solution for 15-30 minutes, after which you'll want to rinse the seeds in either water or acetone and let them dry prior to sowing.

seed dormancy is a problem among several of the nicotiana species but not generally in N. tabacum. if you're having trouble getting tobacco seed to germinate its more likely that the environmental conditions are not right or that the seed has lost viability.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Bummer, I guess our seed bank's 100 year old Sweet Orinoco is a lost variety.
So sad to hear about it.
-Well we have had a few varieties to here in Sweden. But Alidan is only one man managed to rescue. Have an older variety that The most likely is dead ..

-Was just curious about the method

Acetone???
Can not possibly be what I take it that (nail polish wash?)??

JessicaNicot

Bummer, I guess our seed bank's 100 year old Sweet Orinoco is a lost variety.

So sad to hear about it.
-Well we have had a few varieties to here in Sweden. But Alidan is only one man managed to rescue. Have an older variety that The most likely is dead ..

-Was just curious about the method

Acetone???
Can not possibly be what I take it that (nail polish wash?)??

it wouldn't hurt to try the bleach method. if im unsure how well something will germinate I do it on wet filter paper in sealed petri dishes in one of our incubators. I actually just did it and was able to rescue a couple seedlings from 25+ year old seed that came from our backup facility at Fort Collins. I think if I would have tried it on soil they may have been lost.

yep- acetone like the primary ingredient in nail polish remover. its very volatile and dries the seed quickly. I also read that it can be used to separate out empty/nonviable seed because good seed will sink and bad seed will float.

JessicaNicot

It sound's pretty severe. What's the reasoning behind the bleach?

sometimes seed will go thru a dormancy period and there are other species of plants whose seeds require "scarification" (like minor damage from grinding or sometimes fire) before they are able to germinate. bleach is a very powerful base and in very low concentrations it will eat away at the seed coat a little bit and mimic the scarification process that breaks the dormancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.