Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Squash Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm moving this info from the middle of another thread. There is so much info hidden in unrelated threads that it's getting hard to find. I plan to start moving stuff as I find it into it's proper spot for later searches. It would be beneficial to the whole forum if we could all do this as time permits.

Below is the Squash Bug and the damage it can do to the plants.
From Istanbulin:
I think these are Squash Bug eggs. Get rid of them Maks, Squash Bugs make plants wilt.

squash-bug-and-eggs-2.jpg
squasheggs.jpg

My post:

This is leaf damage I found on the Smyrna #9 plants with the squash bug on them. Is this caused by the bug?
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

From Istanbulin:
Knucklehead, I think the suspect is Squash Bugs. There're a lot of photos about Squash Bug damage on the internet like the one below. I think the specific feature of a Squash Bug damage on a leaf is making the leaf look diseased.

4671935350_9a10ab97c4_b.jpg

Last edited:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
well its nice to know the official name for the bug.

in my area we call them '' stink bugs''.... because if you mush them they let out a aweful stench.

Ben Brand

Little f....... suck the juice out the young tender leaves with devastating results, leaves wilt and later die. Like the pictures.
We in Sa don't have such a big stinkbug problem, my big bug problem is leafminer. Had major problems with those, don't like using harsh chemicals, but after last season its leafminer war, bring out the big guns.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Little f....... suck the juice out the young tender leaves with devastating results, leaves wilt and later die. Like the pictures.
We in Sa don't have such a big stinkbug problem, my big bug problem is leafminer. Had major problems with those, don't like using harsh chemicals, but after last season its leafminer war, bring out the big guns.
What is a leaf miner? On the squash bugs use- garlic, dish soap and a little cooking oil. Spray the plant leaf. Maybe it will take care of the leaf miners. It works for hoppers here. And how.(dopler)

Mad Oshea

Taking a break

in my area we call them '' stink bugs''.... because if you mush them they let out a aweful stench.
If You plant squash of any type, They will show up. plant apart and yellow squash of any type is the call to squash bugs. No bird in My habitat will eat them.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
What is a leaf miner? On the squash bugs use- garlic, dish soap and a little cooking oil. Spray the plant leaf. Maybe it will take care of the leaf miners. It works for hoppers here. And how.(dopler) The stink bug puts out an enzime (like a spider) to get the content from the leaf without eating it. There for leaving a dry hole. Try the garlic first to see. Mad-

Ben Brand

Will look in my tobacco gile for the scientific name and then google it for pictures. We also call it potato moth. Lays and its eggs in the leaf and the little worm eats the leaf as it grows. Nasty little things.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
^^^^^^

that thing looks like a hornworm moth....

it would definatlly die. as soon as i seen it.

BarG

Founding Member

The squash bug looks similar to a stinkbug. Have you had this pest damage your tobacco ?

Status
Not open for further replies.