Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New guy in Md.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OFB

Handle says it all, (oatmeal for brains) where the heck have I been? Buying store cigs for the longest time, when I grow everything, right down to, well, machine parts, eggs, tomatoes, corn, electronics, honey, pork, whatever.

Grew up in So Md, planting, topping and hanging for the handsome sum of .65 an hour, thought I was in tall cotton back then, even if it was 130 degrees in the top of that barn.

So now that I have had my "grand awakening" where to start? Anything that has to do with cutting the fed out, I'm in.

Who has good reps?
Where to buy?
Best place to buy seeds?

Thanks, looks like a nice forum with lots of practical and technical experience!

Oats

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Click on the FAQ (at the top of the page). Also, if you put your location in your profile, it will appear on each post, and help other members answer your questions.

Now is a good time to start planning and searching out seed for 2014. Start seed indoors 6-8 weeks before your last frost. In the mean time, check out WholeLeafTobacco.com for some ready leaf.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Welcome to the FTT forum. I happen to like oatmeal. ;) Both Don (FmGrowit forum founder) and BigBonner (this forum) have good reps and better tobacco. Tell us what you smoke and we'll be in a better position to help. Some of the guys here will probably offer seed when we get a feel for you.

indianjoe

Founding Member
Oats,
if you are growing all of that and you are missing tobacco, look out you will catch the "fever". The cure involves growing your own, but it develops into many other symptoms. Welcome to the band.

AmaxB

Hi Oats
Sounds like you already got a leg up on the growing & curing end of things. Good to be part of the tax free club saves dollars that can be better used in other places. I've not bought cigs in better than 3 years now and don't miss the stop at the store one bit. Don't miss all the crap they put in em ether.

OFB

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I think I will be starting off with a cig sampler pack, some extra Va red and some extra Turkish. I always liked the taste and hit of the middle eastern blends.

I have been aclimizing and hybridizing seed and grafting/rooting for many years. Looking forward to spring 2014 and some seed production/swapping.

I had no idea that "tubes" existed till I started on this journey. I think I still prefer to hand roll from the bag when I want one. Wonder what the best chem free papers are these days?

Back in the 60's, I was just labor. After we got it hung, I pretty much walked away from it for the summer never learning the full curing process. It was akin to slave labor, nasty, hot, hard work. I do know what the "good stuff" looks and feels like though, mostly from what it fetched at auction. Most all Md. was air cured although some was was flu cured if I recollect proper.

Any other recommendations on what to start up with as far a leaf goes? I smoke camel non filters, looking for about the same qualities if possible. Cant wait to get away from the commercial chems...

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Welcome to the forum. I'm still buying whole leaf from www.wholeleaftobacco.com and BigBonner, a forum member. I've begun adding some Maryland and dark air cured to my Virginia, Burley and Turkish in my cigarette blends. I'm not sure about regular papers, but Vera Cruz Nocturne tubes use natural, unbleached paper.

MarcL

Welcome to Fair Trade Tobacco neighbor. I think your in the right place. Great info here.

Status
Not open for further replies.