Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Horse drawn plowing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtherOne

So, I've got permission from a close friend to use her horse to plow the 1.5ish acre section we're cultivating for the 2014 'baccy season.
Personally, I'd love to save the money on having someone come turn it up for us, We're gonna repair a 40+ year old plow, and hopefully use it. But I've never done anything like this before, So I'd like any input I can get.

I've heard you can harm your animal if you do it wrong, is that correct?
Also, he's a bit overweight, but he's also extremely muscular, Should I be worried about using him?
I hat feeling like I know nothing about a subject, but why not try new things?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My cousin and my great great uncle used a four wheeler and horse drawn equipment to turn their garden. They grew up using mules and horses. I used to watch them and the four wheeler worked great! Uncle Raymond lived to 105 and worked all but the last three years. (he walked behind the plow holding the handles because he couldn't drive the four wheeler.) Talk about tough.

BarG

Founding Member
I'd buy and feed a good mule, I'd love to have one. My neighbor has this huge horse [will need to find the name of breed]and I been tryning to talk him into breeding her with a Jack. I mean this horse is huge.

BarG

Founding Member
I want one for hard to get to logs and downed trees. I still need my own mill though. If wishes were gold bars I'd have a few.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I'd buy and feed a good mule, I'd love to have one. My neighbor has this huge horse [will need to find the name of breed]and I been tryning to talk him into breeding her with a Jack. I mean this horse is huge.
Colors? Pic? I may be able to help.

BarG

Founding Member
Or I can just call him. I'll walk across the steet and take a pic tomorrow if he don't mind.

Edit; Belgian- percheron over 18 hands tall . Hes still not interested , his wife thinks the Jack can't reach her.:rolleyes: I'll post a pic tomorrow. Shes almost solid black.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
So, I've got permission from a close friend to use her horse to plow the 1.5ish acre section we're cultivating for the 2014 'baccy season.
Personally, I'd love to save the money on having someone come turn it up for us, We're gonna repair a 40+ year old plow, and hopefully use it. But I've never done anything like this before, So I'd like any input I can get.

I've heard you can harm your animal if you do it wrong, is that correct?
Also, he's a bit overweight, but he's also extremely muscular, Should I be worried about using him?
I hat feeling like I know nothing about a subject, but why not try new things?

Do you have the correct harness? You might could hurt him if he's not hooked up right. Plow horses are usually trained to the plow, so if yours isn't you'll need somebody leading him by the bridle. Even then he's liable to pull you both all over the county because he won't understand what you want him to do, and horses can sure sense when the man with the reins doesn't know either.

BarG

Founding Member
I have taken show horse jumper arabians and put a work harness on them. A horse loves to work. Treat them right and don't ruin em and they will work for you.

spencerpearson

Hey guys just seen the post. I got a 1949 formally cub but no attachments. Got make the. Too cheap to buy and ship out of state. That's what am going to use to work my ground for next yr starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.