Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Ballpark of space needed per leaf/bushel for kiln?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FALaholic

I wanted to ask if someone could give me a ball park on how much space I would need per leaf/bushel. Thinking on kilns, and curious to know how much I could pack in there at one time. So I would like to ask for some opinions and advice on what to expect.

I do see some people kilning in bushels, while other kiln separate leaves, spaced inches apart. Any noticeable difference, or is it just a space concern that they have?

marksctm

I wanted to ask if someone could give me a ball park on how much space I would need per leaf/bushel. Thinking on kilns, and curious to know how much I could pack in there at one time. So I would like to ask for some opinions and advice on what to expect.

I do see some people kilning in bushels, while other kiln separate leaves, spaced inches apart. Any noticeable difference, or is it just a space concern that they have?
I grew about 55 plants for my first time last year and once color cured, I brought the leaf up to case enough to work with, pressed in to flats the size of the racks in freezer, and stacked them to fill freezer kiln.
The leaf from all 55 plants were kilned at once and turned out fine.
Pictures aren't the best but, I'd slide the slabs off the newspaper on to the rack.
Don't know if that can give you any idea, or help.

2012 pile_0001.jpg2012 pile_0002.jpgPICT0002 _2__0002.jpg

FALaholic

FALaholic

I grew about 55 plants for my first time last year and once color cured, I brought the leaf up to case enough to work with, pressed in to flats the size of the racks in freezer, and stacked them to fill freezer kiln.
The leaf from all 55 plants were kilned at once and turned out fine.
Pictures aren't the best but, I'd slide the slabs off the newspaper on to the rack.
Don't know if that can give you any idea, or help.

View attachment 6980View attachment 6981View attachment 6982

Thank you Chris. 30 plants is what I'm going for and seeing you with 50, really gives me a perspective. Thanks.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Some of the guys are working on kilns, and some of the guys are working on flue cure chambers. Two different operations, and two different loading, spacing requirements. That may explain what you are seeing in the pictures.

If you want to figure how much space you'll need to color cure your leaf before kilning, there's some good info in the FAQ's at the top of the page on the header.

Status
Not open for further replies.