Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Smelly gammon knuckle

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeezyjohn

I just came home with some shopping from Oxford's famous market ... I bought the produce at a new butchers stall for me - all the other stalls have provided excellent produce for me since before I can remember!

I bought a gammon knuckle (salt cured lower hind leg of pork) - it came in a vacuum pack.

On opening it in my kitchen I was hit by the stench of a rotting corpse. Now I know that strange smells can build up in a vacuum packed meat product - but this was something else - my kitchen still smells of it and I opened it about 3 hours ago! I tried rinsing the meat and letting it dry off to see if it was good but just the smell of being packed up like that - but although not so strong it still smelled pretty bad and like ammonia too.

I'm not going to eat it - that's for sure, but I just wanted to check opinions before taking it back to the butchers in case it's supposed to smell bad like that and I'm not making an ass out of myself. All the ham joints I have bought in my life before this were not vacuum packed but loose from the butcher themselves.

Cheers

Squeezy

Boboro

I bought a rack of ribs from Wally world like that. They got mad when I brought it back. I kinnda opened the bag and walked to the service desk. I bout had em all pukin. If it smells like a rottin corpse Id take it back even if it was spose to Smell like that.

squeezyjohn

It's coming right back at them tomorrow ... and that butchers is never getting my business again - there are about 7 others in the market that will no doubt be far far better!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Plan B is to take it to the Health Department, so they can test it for a number of pathogens. It might be important in preventing an outbreak of food-borne illness related to the packer.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
I process alot a lot of meat for personal use. You should take that back and make them smell it where you bought it. My wife is the hatchet lady, she won't let nobody screw her out of a dime.;) Me I'm a mild mannered redneck till you mess with me or my woman.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I agree but with a flourish. Faced with a similar situation years ago I took it back and opened the package while in the waiting line for customer service. People gagging and leaving the store really pissed them off till I loudly announced where the smell came from and why I was in the line. Customer service got a WHOLE lot better in a hurry. Then take it to the health department (with your receipt if you still have it).

BarG

Founding Member
I have a nose if somethings not right, My meat market has an excellent record! Backstrap ,eggs,jalapenos and tomatoes breakfast yesterday and deer butt roast for dinner last night and lunch today.

BarG

Founding Member
Plan B is to take it to the Health Department, so they can test it for a number of pathogens. It might be important in preventing an outbreak of food-borne illness related to the packer.

Bob

I 100% agree with that. It is just a haunch of meat but ,But!

FALaholic

I don't know what it is, but as I've gotten older, my pallet has become more bourgeoisi. I do not like meat that is not fresh, a day or two is one thing, but by looking at it I can tell if it had time to sit out.

Status
Not open for further replies.