Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Introducing the Whole Leaf Tobacco Shredder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Don, how aggressive are the teeth on this shredder? It look similar to the angel hair attachment I have, the "cutting dowels" are very smooth, if my tobacco isn't in perfect case then it won't grab. Have the dowels on your model been roughed up a bit?

smokesec

Any status updates Don? I've got a list of about 30 people i think i can get turned on to leaf with an easy shredding solution.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Ran into a snag...the expected costs ran WAY over what they were supposed to be...like 5 times more than expected. I hate to say it, but these will have to be made overseas to keep the cost under $50, but if anyone want's one that is made in America, I can get them made for $175.00 each...might as well just buy a Powermatic electric shredder at that point though.

Let me know.

DGBAMA

Ran into a snag...the expected costs ran WAY over what they were supposed to be...like 5 times more than expected. I hate to say it, but these will have to be made overseas to keep the cost under $50, but if anyone want's one that is made in America, I can get them made for $175.00 each...might as well just buy a Powermatic electric shredder at that point though.

Let me know.

If this could happen in the 100-125 range i would still be very interested. If it meant keeping quality up. 0

smokesec

Where's the big cost coming in? Machining? Materials? Assembly?

I've got a few connections in the production industry up here, maybe we could get your costs down.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Don, do you have connections with anyone in China? Typically the Chinese on small production runs will give you a pretty crappy product. I went through a few buys from China (for Diesel engines, generator heads etc). The quality improved immensly when the group I was working with found a Chinese American guy that was technically educated and living in China. He was able to visit several of the manufacturing plants and get us some quality made stuff. Not too sure but I might be able to dig his contact info up for you.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
If this could happen in the 100-125 range i would still be very interested. If it meant keeping quality up. 0
That attitude is in the minority. It's like buying a pair of Red Wing boots. People don't understand that paying 3 - 4 times the money over wallyworld junk actually saves you money in the long run...plus you don't have to break in a new pair of boots every year,

Where's the big cost coming in? Machining? Materials? Assembly?

I've got a few connections in the production industry up here, maybe we could get your costs down.
The cost is in the manufacturing of the cutter heads. There are some other issues that weren't disclosed at the time of the introduction also. This was supposed to be ready for production when it was presented...and it wasn't.

Don, do you have connections with anyone in China? Typically the Chinese on small production runs will give you a pretty crappy product. I went through a few buys from China (for Diesel engines, generator heads etc). The quality improved immensly when the group I was working with found a Chinese American guy that was technically educated and living in China. He was able to visit several of the manufacturing plants and get us some quality made stuff. Not too sure but I might be able to dig his contact info up for you.
I'm dealing direct with the manufacturer who has a factory in China. They understand the shredder's potential and are very eager to assist in the production. This is not something that can be produced efficiently on a small scale. The added benefit in dealing with this company is they are local.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Specify everything, and make no assumptions.

I know of a musical instrument company in Michigan (http://www.lpdmusic.com/) that had a container-load of electric bass guitars manufactured in China. Wanting to impress their new customer, the Chinese factory added a free, "extra" inch to the length of the fingerboard, but made no adjustments to where the frets belonged. So...one container-load of electric bass guitars that could never be tuned. This was about 8 years ago, so maybe the skill level of the industrial engineers in China has improved.

Bob

smokesec

The cost is in the manufacturing of the cutter heads. There are some other issues that weren't disclosed at the time of the introduction also. This was supposed to be ready for production when it was presented...and it wasn't.

I'm dealing direct with the manufacturer who has a factory in China. They understand the shredder's potential and are very eager to assist in the production. This is not something that can be produced efficiently on a small scale. The added benefit in dealing with this company is they are local.

Don I sent you an email.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Have you considered partnering with Powermatic? They sell a manual and electric injector, they may like a manual shredder.

Status
Not open for further replies.