Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Help wanted to get tp ARS- GRIN seedbank

Status
Not open for further replies.

POGreen

Hi there everybody !
POGreen here from Sweden
I am so terribly interested in the different varieties of tobacco , got heeps of seeds myself , but since I learned and had a look at ARS-GRIN seedbank I'm just wasted.
Is it possible that there is one of you guys over there who could imagine himself to help me aquire a number of tobaccovarieties from this Bank ?
Your effort will be rewarded with cash and seeds that I've grown this year . Have a few varieties myself that is kind of rare , or I'll get them for you.
Did send a mail to the Bank myself and got no for an answer by a research assistant in a very nice way with explanation and all.
Sincerely , PoGreen

johnlee1933

Founding Member
POGreen, It is my understanding the ARS Grin seedbank for tobacco has not been distributing seeds for a while now due to lack of funding. There are several folks on this forum who are much more informed about this and may be able to help you.

DonH

POGreen, It is my understanding the ARS Grin seedbank for tobacco has not been distributing seeds for a while now due to lack of funding. There are several folks on this forum who are much more informed about this and may be able to help you.
I thought that changed recently and they are distributing seeds again. There is a thread where it was decided that for next season we would pool together our seed orders from them to save them the trouble of a lot of small orders.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Knucklehead is compiling a list of requested ARS-GRIN varieties, which will be ordered at one time in the fall.

Bob

JessicaNicot

For a time there I was honoring all US requests (NO international requests) but I have changed my policies to fall in line with the general policies of the other USDA run sites: legitimate educational and research purposes only. HOWEVER I do have a fondness for the people here and i'll continue to honor one large group request before each planting season, but all the small individual requests I was getting were taking up a lot of my time.

POGreen

Hi johnlee !

Got a mail just 5 minutes ago from one Jessica *** ***** , who is working at ARS -GRIN saying this : '' Yes, we do ship domestically within the US for legitimate research and educational purposes ''.
I read a thread on Howtogrowtobacco some week ago or so , a member mentoning that ARS-GRIN was up and running again.
The thread is a little over a year old.

Last edited by a moderator:

DGBAMA

Hi johnlee !

Got a mail just 5 minutes ago from one Jessica *** ***** , who is working at ARS -GRIN saying this : '' Yes, we do ship domestically within the US for legitimate research and educational purposes ''.
I read a thread on Howtogrowtobacco some week ago or so , a member mentoning that ARS-GRIN was up and running again.
The thread is a little over a year old.

Jessica is a member here as USNicotiana.......... Post #5 in this thread was from her.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Maks posted a link to a French? seedbank that services the European community. ITB, but I can't find my link. POGreen, I sent you an e-mail.

spencerpearson

I don't understand is some one wanting seed to stock the seed bank. Or a org needing some different kinds. Once I get some in the ground I have made it clear I would give any type I got from the guys here. Just let me know.

POGreen

It's just me spencerpearson , trying to get a hold of some different kind of Rusticas from here and there for next years plantation.

bonehead

I believe that is http://sustainableseedco.com/ They are a good company to deal with. I believe all of their tobacco seed comes from http://nwtseeds.com/ . NWT seeds is a company run by one of our forum members named Skychaser.
sorry it was a typo from a long day. i know who sells seeds to them and you don't have to buy more seeds than most home growers can plant. i am going to order the african red from there. i still have to find silver river and mabe a couple more but i can't get to big because i can only take care of so much. the weeding kills me to be bent over for to long. thanx for the correction.

DGBAMA

sorry it was a typo from a long day. i know who sells seeds to them and you don't have to buy more seeds than most home growers can plant. i am going to order the african red from there. i still have to find silver river and mabe a couple more but i can't get to big because i can only take care of so much. the weeding kills me to be bent over for to long. thanx for the correction.
As for weeding I put down landscape cloth. Did not want to spend the money but so glad now that I did. If the season finishes well I will have SR seed to share.

bonehead

As for weeding I put down landscape cloth. Did not want to spend the money but so glad now that I did. If the season finishes well I will have SR seed to share.
that silver river is hard to find. i would appreciate some if all goes well with your grow.

POGreen

I've had a look at sustainableseedco.com and I have ordered seeds from them to.Their shippingcost to over here is not to good , 17 bucks for one to maybe a 100 seedpackets.
That is correct , they have quite alot of rustica strains , high yielding like their ancient just to mention one of them.
But I've done that and get envious with you guys over there and just wanna see if I can come along to play with you.
Am interested in sort of rare Rusticas with big leafs , thats why I started this thread , sort of saying...

Thanks , POGreen

Status
Not open for further replies.