Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How do I know if One Sucker is ripe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonH

One Sucker plants have leaves that are really thick and really dark green. So my question is, how do I know when it's ripe? They're so green, I doubt they will turn yellow until overripe and the leaves are already thick and alligatory. Any suggestions from people who have grown this before?

DonH

it depends on what you going to do with it. Read the last post: of customer comments in whole leaf tobacco, forum.
So from that I take it that if I want to smoke it I should harvest soon but if I want to chew it I should wait until it yellows.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Green River One Sucker is a very popular variety for a few reasons. It has the highest nicotine known in any N. Tabacum variety. It is used as an air cured wrapper also known as Fronto. It is used to blend with other angiosperms, typically in the Caribbean Islands where it is known as Grabba. GROS is also used extensively in chewing tobacco.

Each use requires the leaf to be harvested in different stages of ripeness. It would be helpful if you could divulge the end use for your One Sucker.

Last edited:

DonH

Green River One Sucker is a very popular variety for a few reasons. It has the highest nicotine known in any N. Tabacum variety. It is used as an air cured wrapper also known as Fronto. It is used to blend with other angiosperms, typically in the Caribbean Islands where it is known as Grabba. GROS is also used extensively in chewing tobacco.

Each use requires the leaf to be harvested in different stages of ripeness. It would be helpful if you could divulge the end use for your One Sucker.
Not sure what I'm going to use it for. I only have three plants and one is for seeds. I'll most likely use it as a blending component for cigarettes and pipes. I don't chew so I won't use it for that.

I might experiment with some leaves as a wrapper. I wasn't aware it was used for that. I actually planted a fourth late as a replacement so it's small and in the shade of other full grown plants so maybe that would make good wrapper leaf. The leaves on the three mature plants seem way to thick to use as wrappers.

DonH

The Rastafarian use it to roll their marijuana cigarettes. It's not used as a cigar wrapper that I'm aware of.
Didn't you just tell me it's used as an air cured wrapper called a Fronto? Sounds like cigar terminology to me.

BigBonner

Founding Member
One sucker is like a lot like Dark air but narrower , thicker and kind of sticky .
I have used it as a binder / wrapper and filler just because I have it handy and just to see what it taste like . My one sucker has aged two years .

One Sucker is like Burley ,Maryland , Dark Air/ Fire cured , Top it and three weeks it is ready for harvesting . It will never turn the yellow ripe like Burley or Flue Cured does .

DonH

Just like any other tobacco. When the leaves get that bubbly looking surface and are no longer smooth, usually two weeks after topping, they're ready.
The problem is One Sucker's like that even before topping. Not to the same degree though.

Status
Not open for further replies.