Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What is an Arkansas post-oak swamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack in NB

Founding Member
Ran into the expression in an O Henry story last night, and it's a new one for me.

Had the thought that some of you knowledgeable southern cats might offer an explanation!

Fisherman

A post oak is just a small oak suitable for making a fence post. Usually grow in thick stands and unless thinned wont usually make a decent tree. Not even sure it is a seperate species myself.

Jack in NB

Founding Member
Thanks, fellows - but what's the "swamp" bit? Is there something unique about an Arkansas post-oak swamp?

Or is it just a nicely turned phrase from the author?

janetta007

I am gonna go out on a limb here and agree with deluxstogie on the author using the phase. I live in the post oak region in east central Texas. I do believe it's called a swamp post oak is that it can grow in standing water. Just my thoughts.

mahtab

Banned
I think this sentence is related to next sentence.and here :
Arkansas post-oak swamp means a swamp full of Arkansas post oak because in next sentence the writer talks about drying for a moment on the alkali plains of Idaho ranch.when you are in swamp,You will be wet and with dragging out , you need to be dried.so swamp sounds wetland for me.

BarG

Founding Member
My post oaks reach 50'+ tall and 30" diameter a member of the white oaks. I use mine for paneling,furniture,flooring. I have about a dozen died this year from the last couple years of drought.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Arkansas post-oak swamp means a swamp full of Arkansas post oak because in next sentence the writer talks about drying for a moment on the alkali plains of Idaho ranch.when you are in swamp,You will be wet and with dragging out , you need to be dried.so swamp sounds wetland for me.

Hello mahtab. Welcome to the forum. Please put your general location in your profile. It will help us with answering any questions you may have as curing answers are always location and weather specific. You may also wish to read the FAQ's located at the top of the page.

Boboro

I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.