Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Need advice on auto fill for crock pot; kiln

Status
Not open for further replies.

FALaholic

I'm planning on doing the fridge style kiln.
I wanted to ask ya'll what I could build to auto fill the crock pot from an external source.

Fisherman

Myself I plan to use something along the lines of a "dog waterer" on the outside with a small tube going into unit in kiln. Mr Amax has a thread full of information on the subject and is having great success with the method he is using.

FALaholic

I hear you on drying out. I'm planning on mixing the Miracle-Gro Organic with some other potting soil that has peat moss in it. The other potting soil, straight, retains alot of moisture. Something you may want to look into. The MG organic, I'm having to water everyday.

FALaholic

Post number 58 on my thread search for freezer in the forum fermenting, shows my siphon feed set up. http://wholeleaftobaccollc.com/forum/showthread.php?1813-Search-for-freezer/page2
Worked great and saves from opening the kiln up to check water level.
When the water level drops to a preset mark on jug, fill to the preset full mark on jug.

Siphon, never thought of going that route. I was honestly thinking of some sort of valve.
So do you adjust your preset levels by adjusting the height of the siphon tube?

marksctm

When you set up your crock pot, fill and set your jug slightly higher than crock pot, fill jug with water, hose going from the bottom of jug, (you don't want hose to suck air when water level gets to the low mark) to crock pot, blow in to jug with mouth over opening of jug, and it will siphon into crock,when it gets to a full level in crock pot , mark jug where water level is and that will roughly give you a starting point on where your full mark is on the jug and should be roughly the full level in crock pot.
Make your low water level mark high enough on jug, so there is still a good amount of water left in jug in case you can't tend to it right away, and keeps it from sucking air.
You can fine tune it after that.

AmaxB

You don't need to do the "auto fill for crock pot" it is ok to open the fridge door to fill your crock....

DonH

You don't need to do the "auto fill for crock pot" it is ok to open the fridge door to fill your crock....
That's true, but I have to travel for my job so the siphon auto fill is better than having to add water for me.

marksctm

Why drop temp/humd that takes 3 or 4 hours to bring back up @ 31 days a load, that adds up run time and money, which to me = waste.
I'm growing and curing my own tobacco to save me money, like a lot of us, not blow a thousand dollars or more to prove it can be done at home. And rewrite history
Hell! There's no need to even kiln tobacco when it comes down to it.

DrBob

Founding Member
chris is basically right. If you allow your tobacco to naturally age curing is not necessary. usually a year is good and two year's is better. Some tobacco may be a little harsh and curing it will tame it down. Toasting harsh tobacco can do wonders also. curing is just a way to accelerate natural aging

AmaxB

Why drop temp/humd that takes 3 or 4 hours to bring back up @ 31 days a load, that adds up run time and money, which to me = waste.
I'm growing and curing my own tobacco to save me money, like a lot of us, not blow a thousand dollars or more to prove it can be done at home. And rewrite history
Mine is 10 -15 minutes and it is back

FALaholic

When you set up your crock pot, fill and set your jug slightly higher than crock pot, fill jug with water, hose going from the bottom of jug, (you don't want hose to suck air when water level gets to the low mark) to crock pot, blow in to jug with mouth over opening of jug, and it will siphon into crock,when it gets to a full level in crock pot , mark jug where water level is and that will roughly give you a starting point on where your full mark is on the jug and should be roughly the full level in crock pot.
Make your low water level mark high enough on jug, so there is still a good amount of water left in jug in case you can't tend to it right away, and keeps it from sucking air.
You can fine tune it after that.

I'm going to give that a dry run this week, to see how it works. Many thanks.

FALaholic

Agreed, and appreciate the reply. Its just that I see myself gone for an extended period of time, with no one to care for the kiln.

FALaholic

Like the reply.
Yes, this is the #2 reason; it takes time for the crock pot to bring a new refill of water up to temp. This can be avoided by keeping the crock pot filled.

Status
Not open for further replies.