Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

DGBAMA Redneck Curing Chamber Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

Working on the "dry" heat for the kiln. Working well but remains to be seen if it will get hot enough. Did a cool hack on a ceramic heater if nothing else.

DGBAMA

So here we go on the "dry heat" ceramic heate hack.

heater originally has 2 settings, 750 & 1500 watts
IMG_20130821_194205_109.jpg

made a 7-wire extension cord from a couple old computer power cords to make the controls remote mountable.
IMG_20130821_204106_619.jpg
IMG_20130821_211857_171.jpg
Looks fancy on the outside of the kiln
IMG_20130821_212401_700.jpg

initial Modifications:
one ground wire disconnected from the heat element, it now is 375w low 750w high
Indicator light originally is on anytime power is on; rewired so that it only lights when the fan or heat element are active (on the downstream side of the thermostat).

Already working on overcoming a couple failures:
Master "overheat protection" kicked in at 125 deg. (now bypassed)
Fan failed @ 135 deg. (now replaced by a 12v pc fan, we will see how it does).

If the control panel thermostat will make 150 deg I will be happy.

My theory: to increase humidity set "dry heat" just below Crock Pot temp; To reduce set crock pot below "dry heat" temp.

The control panel thermostat is definiely more sensitive than the water heater thermostat. Should help to narrow down the temp swings when the heat is on/off.

DGBAMA

Are you actually kilning or still color curing? Is it smelling good in there yet?

It had mostly colored last week hung indoors. Just lugs. Started mold hence the fast kiln build. Threw it in and basically using the lugs as a Guinea pig batch to learn how the kiln will run.

Tuesday was grassy smell. Wednesday that was almost gone so I hope by after work today it will be getting the good tobacco smell.

I hope to start my first full run in the next day or so.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
It had mostly colored last week hung indoors. Just lugs. Started mold hence the fast kiln build. Threw it in and basically using the lugs as a Guinea pig batch to learn how the kiln will run.

Tuesday was grassy smell. Wednesday that was almost gone so I hope by after work today it will be getting the good tobacco smell.

Just remember after it is color cured you want it in the kiln for about a month.

workhorse_01

I think you're ahead of the curve. Cure the lugs, make some mistakes, then turn the good stuff gold!

DGBAMA

I think you're ahead of the curve. Cure the lugs, make some mistakes, then turn the good stuff gold!

that is the goal. But I definitely do not feel "ahead of the curve" For us first time southern growers this summer has been more of a "school of hard knocks".

On the bright side if next year is even halfway normal it will seem easy by comparison.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
that is the goal. But I definitely do not feel "ahead of the curve" For us first time southern growers this summer has been more of a "school of hard knocks".

On the bright side if next year is even halfway normal it will seem easy by comparison.

You said a mouthful there my friend. If I get through the rest of this season, I'll feel like a gen-u-ine tobacco farmer. I have no idea how real farmers grow fields of something I've had so much trouble garden growing. BigBonner, my hats off to you, you are a true American hero. (and a little bit crazy) :D

workhorse_01

Amen!

DGBAMA

Ok. Real question for you flue cure/kiln vets.....after you complete "stem drying" how do you bring your leaf back into case so it can be handled? I am thinking of dropping to 90ish temp and upping humidity overnight?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That works. What I do with my few strings of dry leaf that come out of the Cozy Can is mist them with water, hang the strings on the back porch, and handle them the following morning. With a large-batch setup, just using its own heat/humidity source is probably the only way to do it.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Ok. Real question for you flue cure/kiln vets.....after you complete "stem drying" how do you bring your leaf back into case so it can be handled? I am thinking of dropping to 90ish temp and upping humidity overnight?

With our humidity, leave them outside overnight in an open bag or bud bag. You may even have to dry them back down a little bit the next morning. Or just mist them with a spray bottle of water and seal them in a bag overnight.

DonH

If you've got a crockpot in the chamber, you can add some water to it after the flue curing's done. That'll bring it up to case in a few hours or more.

DGBAMA

For sake of consistency I would like to establish a controlled and repeatable method. Thanks guys. a lot of leaf to deal with in the next month. Will give it a go. Want to have a routine through harvesting. If I can get this part I will be confident to start me first run of good leaf.

DGBAMA

If you've got a crockpot in the chamber, you can add some water to it after the flue curing's done. That'll bring it up to case in a few hours or more.

Don, it is now set up with two heat sources on separate control thermostats. A crock pot and a ceramic. That is exactly what I was thinking.

Boboro

I just unplug the 150watt bulb. Put the crockpot in the kiln with water in it plug it in. Close the vents.

workhorse_01

The heat element broke in my GQF incubator last year, and the new elements that I carry for hvac are too big, so I stuck a 250w red heat lamp in its place, tied it in to the thermostat, and kept using it. That bulb has worked perfect and is cheap to replace if it ever goes bad. I put one in my curing box, and have maintained 93*F-DB and a humidifier that has kept it at 84*F-WB. With very little run time.

AmaxB

The heat element broke in my GQF incubator last year, and the new elements that I carry for hvac are too big, so I stuck a 250w red heat lamp in its place, tied it in to the thermostat, and kept using it. That bulb has worked perfect and is cheap to replace if it ever goes bad. I put one in my curing box, and have maintained 93*F-DB and a humidifier that has kept it at 84*F-WB. With very little run time.
Sounds like your coming along workhorse.....

Status
Not open for further replies.