Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Explain to me why some are primed and some are stalk harvested

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

Priming is simply more labor intensive. A lot of recommended harvest methods closely follow commercial procedures. As small growers priming is an option that the"big guys" don't have. We can "prime" each and every variety we grow At the best possible time for that variety and the intended use for that leaf. Picking leaf at the best time for its intended use.

For cigar wrapper earlier and thinner; for cig later and thicker.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i dont prime if i pick the leaf when it is '' RIPE''. yellowing, or mostlly all yellow allready.

and as knuck sated we being backyard growers, we have the option to pick our leaf as it ripens,

vs. the farmer who would do 2 seperate pickings, be they all '' ripe and ready'' or not,

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Virginia's are primed because they are flue cured. It is a lot easier and cheaper to heat and dry leaves rather than the stalks.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
The commercial CT shade farmer I know primes 80 acres, 5 or 6 primes per year. Many hundreds of acres in that area are harvested in this way. There is no stalk harvesting of CT shade. This is very labor intensive and is reflected in the leaf price/pound.

BarG

Founding Member
In the deep south central here I prime a lot of stalk cure varietys to keep from losing the leaf before the whole plant has matured. When they pass the point of yellowing and turn brown on the stalk, rain and wind will ruin them. Usualy in extreme heat and dry spells I need to.

DonH

So Burley can be primed?
Absolutely. Like BarG said, if you don't the bottom leaves will dry out before the plant is even topped. I've been doing a mix of stalk curing and priming. Stalk curing is easier and quicker, and since it's mid August and we haven't been getting much rain, my curing area (detached garage) is low in humidity the advantage I see with stalk curing is the leaves dry slower with less drying green. By September when the nights get cold up here humidity levels are higher hanging leaves may make most sense. With the 300 or so leaves I've strung I'm managing the green drying by spacing them close together. But with the Burley and other white stemmed varieties, the leaves are already yellow when I pick them so it's not a worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.