Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Viewing window in Refrigerator Kiln

Status
Not open for further replies.

FALaholic

I was thinking of installing either a viewing window or a view port in my refrigerator kiln. A question crossed my mind, so I figured I would ask those that have more redneck.

If I were to install a window or a view port, I'm assuming that there will be condensation, enough so to obscure the view and make the modification nothing more than a valiant effort. So I was thinking, that the solution to this would require two layers of glass; one on the inner and outer of the door. This would create an air pocket. Yet I don't think that will be enough to prevent condensation. I'm really thinking that I have to go as far as sealing the gap, drawing it down (neg. pressure), and filling it up with nitrogen.

Yet the redneck in my tells me that there is another, easier, less complicated solution. Unfortunately, I don't know of an easier or possibly better way. So I came here to ask the vets.

DGBAMA

I will be adding a view window to my kiln this week. Double Payne for sure but won't go a far as gas filled. Will post results.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I always thought an oven door would make a good window in the freezer builds, but I have a small Mig welder. It's already insulated and ready for heat. Would stand up to flue cure temperatures if you decided to convert later on.

AmaxB

Put a chunk of insulation over it 99.5% of the Time you will be able to see. The other .5% of the time if ya don't forget to cover it...

workhorse_01

Amax is right, use your sawzall to cut out the piece for viewing, mount the glass inside the door, put a handle on the cut out piece, and just place it back in the hole when not viewing. If condensation builds on the glass, and it will, bump the door first.

DGBAMA

I did not get fog until over 80% humidity. Will wipe down the inside with rain x before the next run. I

Status
Not open for further replies.