Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New member from Indiana

Status
Not open for further replies.

ustamills

Hey all,

I'm an occasional smoker of pipes and cigars. I know pipe tobacco better than cigars.

My favorite pipe tobacco is McBaren's, in several flavors, plus one really awesome hand-blended one (#5) from Carol Burch at Pipeworks & Wilke. I'm so green at cigar's that I only have one really good cigar I know about, Macanudo Hyde Park. I just ordered the extra-mild sampler pack from Thompson Cigar so I'll see what that's like.

Now, to what I'm REALLY excited about: As a kid, (mumble mumble) years ago, I grew up on a tobacco farm (Burley) in Kentucky. So, for those guys discussing growing tobacco, this brings back memories (some not so much fun) of seeding, transplanting, hoeing, suckering, cutting, spiking, housing, & tieing tobacco. And falling out of the 3rd house of a barn, only to catch myself on my armpits on the corner of the 2nd house. The only thing I never got to do was top tobacco. Only Momree & Pappy were allowed anywhere near topping!

I just found this website and I'm impressed! I never actually thought about rolling my own cigars or making my own pipe tobacco. I'm looking forward to finding out about this. Is it better? Cheaper? Both? Can't wait!

Drew

workhorse_01

Welcome aboard. Most of the people would never be able to afford the cigar habit they have if it weren't for rolling their own. It would be like another house payment for some. So I think yes to all your questions.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of information on pipe tobacco blending, along with a number of casing recipes (MacBaren's uses flavored casings in most of their blends). There is a thread on making black Cavendish.

Macanudo Hyde Park uses a CT Shade wrapper, and a mild Dominican blend of fillers (mostly seco). WholeLeafTobacco.com carries a gorgeous Ecuador Shade wrapper that I actually prefer over CT Shade. YouTube has a gazillion videos on cigar rolling.

I've smoked Rattray's, MacBarens, Alfred Dunhill, Cornell & Diehl, McClelland, and a slew of other pipe blends. I prefer my own blends to all of them. I roll all my cigars (too many a day) and enjoy them more than factory premium cigars that I receive as gifts. It's like store-bought vs. home-grown tomatoes. I haven't duplicated a Havana cigar yet, but I'm working on that with the varieties that I'm growing this year.

Are you thinking about growing tobacco in 2014? We have our fingers on seed for several hundred heirloom varieties. Also, BigBonner, another member of this forum, grows tobacco commercially in eastern Kentucky, and for the past several years has been selling a number of varieties of tobacco transplants that he will ship anywhere in the country.

Have a look at the FAQ (top of the page) for beginning tobacco growers. Have fun.

Bob

indianjoe

Founding Member
Like they said above, you need to get some leaf from wholeleaftobacco and get to rolling. Welcome.

leverhead

Welcome! Telling you how easy growing tobacco is won't work, but I think it's fun. Better, yes. Cheaper, it depends on how you value your time and returns.

Rickey60

Welcome, I don't know much about cigars, but I'm sure everyone here will help answer all your questions. They have been great helping me.
Rick

BigBonner

Founding Member
Hey all,

I'm an occasional smoker of pipes and cigars. I know pipe tobacco better than cigars.

My favorite pipe tobacco is McBaren's, in several flavors, plus one really awesome hand-blended one (#5) from Carol Burch at Pipeworks & Wilke. I'm so green at cigar's that I only have one really good cigar I know about, Macanudo Hyde Park. I just ordered the extra-mild sampler pack from Thompson Cigar so I'll see what that's like.

Now, to what I'm REALLY excited about: As a kid, (mumble mumble) years ago, I grew up on a tobacco farm (Burley) in Kentucky. So, for those guys discussing growing tobacco, this brings back memories (some not so much fun) of seeding, transplanting, hoeing, suckering, cutting, spiking, housing, & tieing tobacco. And falling out of the 3rd house of a barn, only to catch myself on my armpits on the corner of the 2nd house. The only thing I never got to do was top tobacco. Only Momree & Pappy were allowed anywhere near topping!

I just found this website and I'm impressed! I never actually thought about rolling my own cigars or making my own pipe tobacco. I'm looking forward to finding out about this. Is it better? Cheaper? Both? Can't wait!

Drew

Welcome to the forum

If you want a trip back to memory lane just drive a couple hours to my farm and I will refresh all those memories of working in tobacco , sweat , pain , tired , etc.
I will even let you top tobacco in my fields .

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Welcome to FTT Drew. I learned to roll cigars with LOTS of help from Deluxestogie and others. My everyday cigar is very close to Macanudo Hyde Park. I use Habano seco filler, with some modifications, and CT shade wrapper much of the time. I like either MCY or Comstock Spanish as an alternative wrapper. Right now I am using Havana 425 as wrapper and loving it.

If you'd like to talk about it PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

As you read you'll find I grow a very small patch and stick to wrapper varieties.

John

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Welcome to the forum

If you want a trip back to memory lane just drive a couple hours to my farm and I will refresh all those memories of working in tobacco , sweat , pain , tired , etc.
I will even let you top tobacco in my fields .
Larry, You are the most giving person I know. For my part I'll pass. Thank God I don't have those memories ! LOL

I would like to visit tho. Guess that is not in the cards.

Markw

Hi and welcome to FTT this will be my first year in trying to make my own cigars. You will find all the information on here that you will need. once again welcome aboard and have some fun.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Larry, You are the most giving person I know. For my part I'll pass. Thank God I don't have those memories ! LOL

I would like to visit tho. Guess that is not in the cards.

John

Stop by anytime you are always welcome here .
Anyone can stop by that wants to , I'll show them around .

Knucklehead

Founding Member
John

Stop by anytime you are always welcome here .
Anyone can stop by that wants to , I'll show them around .

You're high on my list of places I want to go. I'd rather go to your farm than Disney World or Buck o Rama.

Status
Not open for further replies.