Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

springheals progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm a slow learner, but I'm planning ahead for next year. I'll be working in some peat, sand and manure this fall and plant crimson clover. Good luck on your season.

springheal

Set another 44 plants out today. Spacing is 2' between plants but only 2' between rows which is going to be a problem later getting to each plant. Two rows would have been perfect spacing, but greed got the better of me :p

IMG_0030.jpg

Later, I heard on the radio that a short cold blast is going to hit us tomorrow, with a temperature drop and possibilities of frosts in the coming days and we are going away for 3 or 4 days. Bloody dreadful timing! Have taken some precautions as seen below:

IMG_0028.jpg

In total, have planted out 74 in the garden and 3 in large pots on the front porch. Still have lots of plants for backup, in case of loss.

Thanks for your good wishes Knucklehead and I am "planning for the worst". A slow learner still has advantages.

Rickey60

I like your setup. You make me want to go out and plant. Now all winter we get to watch you garden grow. Good luck, and I will be following progress.
Rick

springheal

A few weeks have now passed, so time for an update.

Typical------At time of planting last month, we had a very good period of a very early spring. Immediately after planting out, BAM------overnight lows of 3-4 degrees cesius. But everything did survive reasonably well. As I originally predicted, I did not really expect much growth for some weeks,mostly due to the cold temperatures. This last week has been great with milder days/nights and even some rain which has assisted the plantings and a noticeable growth spurt.

Today, I have planted 27 more plants. By end of the day, I saw on tv the forecast is for storms with very strong winds the next 2 days. Tomorrow, I am going to mound the dirt up around the plants to give the base some protection from the wind.

As you will see below, The covers are still on stand bye should we get a late frost (unlikely now), but tomorrow I need to take measures for the strong wind especially the tomato plants I put in today.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Todays plantings:

6.jpg

Other members have mentioned that container plants get an earlier start compared to whats planted out in the garden. Here's my experience (planted exactly the same day):

Outside:
7.jpg

In buckets on front porch protected from cold nights:
8.jpg

Obviously, the end result will be the plants out in the garden will produce better in the end.

Total number transplanted is now 101, 3 in buckets and still got spares just in case. That's more than what I'll be needing:)

Thanks for your good wishes Rick.

DonH

They're looking great. A good early start. This is like March in the northern hemisphere. Where I live I can't put them in the ground until late May.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Very nice growing area. Great looking soil. You should do very well. Which varieties of Burley and Virginia did you plant?

springheal

I am very pleased with the progress considering how early my planting out has been. I have no idea what variety I am growing. Bought the seed on the internet (Trademe, a kiwi website) and was advertised as virginia/burley. Possibly, cross pollination of the 2 varieties!? The seeds all looked the same colour to me. Seed availability is very limited down here which may change if webby has a successful grow this summer with his seed kindly provided by knucklehead.

Storm warning for most of the country----- Today I have mounded the soil all around the baccy. Wind is getting up now (stronger tonight) and the plants are looking fine. Tomatoes are a different matter as they are tall, skinny and top heavy which makes it more difficult to prevent movement from the wind. Spring planting in n.z. is so bloody finicky at best. When the spring winds are over, it's all plain sailing.

I expect to be priming late November to early December jekylnz. Stalk harvest early 2014 for a 2nd crop in March to April and then leave some in the ground over winter June onwards to see how they survive. That's my plan if they survive this week!:confused:

springheal

Bob, you may not have read here about importing seed in n.z.

We, (private individuals) are not permitted to import seed into n.z. without a permit and/or license.

They currently state that they are able to ship to New Zealand

Of course they can and will. The problem is getting it into the country as we are not permitted to import seed.

Some does sneak through though as webby (a kiwi) discovered recently.

springheal

Update regarding the reported storm.

Last night was a bit wild but not as bad as much of the country. Fortunately, where I am, we miss a lot of the wild spring weather.

To my surprise this morning, the tomatoes survived very well ( added more supports yesterday). Two or three tobacco leaves were bent and damaged by the wind but everything looks aok. Would prefer more rain and less or no wind.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The seed packets that I have sent to NZ by mail always have a customs declaration that clearly states:
"clean seed in transparent packaging: Nicotiana spp."

They have gone through without a problem.

US Postal Service. Restrictions and Prohibitions on items sent to New Zealand said:
Prohibitions
Bank notes, coins, and other forms of currency are prohibited in all classes of mail, including registered First-Class Mail International items, First-Class Package International Service items, insured parcels, and Priority Mail Express International shipments, that are sent to New Zealand.
Radioactive materials.

Restrictions
Addressees are required to obtain import licenses from the New Zealand customs authorities for all shipments except the following:
Bona fide gifts not exceeding 100 New Zealand dollars in value.
Firearms require the addressee has police permission.
Meat or meat products and fish and fish products are admitted only conditionally.
Merchandise for the addressee’s personal use, not for his or her business or professional use or for sale or trade, and not exceeding 20 New Zealand dollars in value.
Used clothing and used bedding must be for personal use of persons in New Zealand, or with permission of the New Zealand Minister of Customs. Worn out clothing not for personal use must be clean and disinfected, or it will be done at the addressee’s expense.

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/mo_024.htm

Bob

springheal

Bob, my apologies.

After doing some more digging you have covered yourself by declaring "clean genus Nicotiana" and being open with your declaration.

Even then, the seeds require assessment under biosecurity regulations.

Hell, you can read and read all the nonsense regulations and still come out confused. It's just mind boggling.

In n.z. anything that is living or has the potential to live is treated very seriously when imported and that includes anything made of wood. Anything that has the ability to harbor disease or insects etc will be destroyed or treated at the recipients expense.

jekylnz

Bob, my apologies.

After doing some more digging you have covered yourself by declaring "clean genus Nicotiana" and being open with your declaration.

Even then, the seeds require assessment under biosecurity regulations.

Hell, you can read and read all the nonsense regulations and still come out confused. It's just mind boggling.

In n.z. anything that is living or has the potential to live is treated very seriously when imported and that includes anything made of wood. Anything that has the ability to harbor disease or insects etc will be destroyed or treated at the recipients expense.

Bro like Bob said ..as long as the seed is visually clean (&and states so) its all good..most people that are sending you the seed are pretty clued up on cleaning seed to be sent overseas. ..cause none of us what to cause a bio security night mare and then get billed for it..
Its usually the other plant matter that carries any trouble some substances..bio security would know that..try some weed seeds they wont get here quite so easy..even if you declare that they're clean..im just saying I dont think they sneak past security. .1 out 10 might (weed)

springheal

Second time I go away and the weather didn't cooperate!

Gale force winds with horizontal rain.

Some of the larger leaves are either cut,creased or badly bent. Should they be removed? The one next to the tap is badly creased and cut.

IMG_0074.jpg

The most recent plantings have really suffered as they didn't have a chance to settle in.

IMG_0076.jpg

The worst. Looks like these have had it.

IMG_0077.jpg
IMG_0078.jpg

Even the plants in the pails on the porch got slammed. Remove or not to remove the damaged leaves?

IMG_0072.jpg

Fortunately, I still have many spares waiting to replace the damaged ones. Knucks did pm me and confirmed that as long as the bud is not damaged, they will be fine. The 2 pictures taken close up, I see nothing as much of the plants have been sand blasted and/or the buds buried.

Oh, the joy of planting out early spring in n.z.:rolleyes:

Overall, I am happy with the small loss as the weather was so atrocious and I chose to plant too early in the season.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
At first glance, I would say that all of them should recover nicely. Leaves that are just cracked, but still attached, will continue to supply nutrients to the roots. I would leave them. Nearly all the leaf showing so far will end up being the questionable leaf at the bottom of a tall plant.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.