Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

More Weed control information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Has anyone had success with landscape cloth between the rows and plants for small growers? Also can it be pulled up and reused?

Boboro

I use news papper with oak leaves on top and cover all the garden. Its a lot of work but I cant' find a hoe that fits my hands. In the fall gust till it in.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Has anyone had success with landscape cloth between the rows and plants for small growers? Also can it be pulled up and reused?
Yes. I used it this year for the first time. After spading the patch I completely covered it with the thin black fabric. I weighted it with pieces of firewood and stapled it to the edges of the raised frame. At planting time I first cut holes in the cloth on the grid I planned. I then planted accordingly in the holes. Over the summer I'll bet I didn't pull 50 weeds (mostly crab grass). This years grow was my most successful and I plan to use the same technique next year. The stuff I bought got very weak and shabby and I chose not to save it. Some of it went in the garbage but most just got tilled in in the fall spading.

Hope this helps,

John

BigBonner

Founding Member
I use a cultivating tractor for weed control .If tobacco is cultivated regularly there will be little to no weeds .Last year I had weeds , this year with the dry weather I had little to no weeds at all .

Knucklehead

Founding Member
johnlee it was originally a Southern Gentleman expression but I think there was a CT yankee that supposedly picked up the expression while at King Arthur's Court. LOL

oldsouth

Banned
I like to use a propane wand - probably other names for them, but I made one after seeing one for sale in a store. Basically just a little propane tank, some hose and copper tubing, with a torch attached to the end. You just walk along and burn up anything you don't want growing.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Oldsouth you ever scorch any tobacco that way? Dawgs helped themselves big time Sat. We may be heading for a meet up in SEC champ. game. Roll Tide.

oldsouth

Banned
I'll be starting my tobacco crop in the spring - now 20 years since I've worked with tobacco - so, we'll find out. I've had good success with it in vegetable gardens and even in my herb beds, where the plants are very tender and narrowly spaced. The torch tip I use if for the small kind that plumbers use. I turn the flame down very low, to about a 1/4 inch blue point.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
this is what i used last year, and the material is in good shape, for another years planting,

it's a material they use, when installing the big '' concrete'' culvert's,

it's as wide, and as thick as roofing paper. but porous, it easily lets water seep thru,

>
020fnp.jpg

heres. a finished pic of it,

rows laid, holes cut, stakes in place, i even used the material to make a fence with,

>
llcool004.jpg

^^^^ if you look closely, you will see my young plant '' pest control'' at work, [ my baby chickens patrolling the bacca patch ]

weed control was very easy to maintain, allthough thiers dirt in between the felt rows, i did have weeds grow there,

in my 2'nd garden plot, i covered everything, and had no weeds,

in the plot, with dirt between the row's, this winter i plan on covering the dirt '' row's'' with felt, so come next planting season, i will have very little weed's.

kilnnnn006.jpg

^^^ and later in the year, and still no weeds,

Status
Not open for further replies.