Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Suggestions about cigar molds ! (the wooden type)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indianamac

Hey All,

I recently purchased an old cigar mold from e-bay. When it arrived, I found it to be a little dirty and a tiny amount of actual mold on it. Parts of the mold are a little cracked, but in all I think it is still a usable piece. Using a stiff brush, I have scrubbed up the old cigar mold and it looks pretty good. Now my question! Should I use some sort of oil on this old wooden mold or should I use a damp cloth and just wipe it down. My concern with water is, I don't want it to swell the wood and cause the molds to deform. I'm just looking to make it a little cleaner looking and keeping the wood from drying out any more than it has. I also do not want to put anything on it that would taint the cigars when place into this mold.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you plan on using the cigar mold, you'll be adding moist cigar bulks to it anyway. I would use a slightly damp rag.

Cigar molds allow you to create beautiful appearing cigars fairly easily, and in large numbers. Looks can deceive. Keep in mind that if you try to learn to roll cigars ten at a time using a mold, you will be making 10 times the number of poorly rolled cigars at a time. I strongly recommend that if you really do want to use the mold, you still make only one cigar per batch, and smoke it before making another. That will give you immediate feedback on how to improve your technique. Once you've smoked 30-50 of those one-off cigars, you can start to increase the number you make in each batch.

Other than making it easy to roll an attractive looking cigar, cigar molds do enable you to use wrapper that is more closely trimmed and more delicate. For factories, the benefit is large batches of identical cigars--not usually a concern for home rolling.

What size is your mold? Post a pic.

Bob

Indianamac

Cigar items 003.jpgCigar items 001.jpg
If you plan on using the cigar mold, you'll be adding moist cigar bulks to it anyway. I would use a slightly damp rag.

Cigar molds allow you to create beautiful appearing cigars fairly easily, and in large numbers. Looks can deceive. Keep in mind that if you try to learn to roll cigars ten at a time using a mold, you will be making 10 times the number of poorly rolled cigars at a time. I strongly recommend that if you really do want to use the mold, you still make only one cigar per batch, and smoke it before making another. That will give you immediate feedback on how to improve your technique. Once you've smoked 30-50 of those one-off cigars, you can start to increase the number you make in each batch.

Other than making it easy to roll an attractive looking cigar, cigar molds do enable you to use wrapper that is more closely trimmed and more delicate. For factories, the benefit is large batches of identical cigars--not usually a concern for home rolling.

What size is your mold? Post a pic.

Bob

Bob,

Here are some images. The long mold in the croup picture, is the same as the smaller one in the top right corner. It is stamped 64. I appreciate the advice , as far as not rolling a whole bunch. before seeing how they turn out. I may find out that they are a pain in the butt & do like Rich says & hang'em on the wall. Thanks for the feedback.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Bob,

Here are some images. The long mold in the croup picture, is the same as the smaller one in the top right corner. It is stamped 64. I appreciate the advice , as far as not rolling a whole bunch. before seeing how they turn out. I may find out that they are a pain in the butt & do like Rich says & hang'em on the wall. Thanks for the feedback.
I tried a couple of molds a few years back and gave them away. I could make really nice looking cigars that didn't burn/draw well and the bottom line for me was I needed more patience and practice.

John

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Those are beauties. They both make perfectos. If you try them (of course you will), ignore the taper at the foot when you begin, and make the cigars a little shorter. A head taper is fairly easy. The foot taper requires a peculiar cut to the wrapper, and is a bit tricky. If you start with filler in low case (dry but doesn't crumble when crushed), then you'll have a better chance at having a decent draw no matter how tightly you roll it.

We await a photo of your cigar.

Bob

MarcL

Did I see that tuck cutter on eBay ?
This sounds familiar. I too have gotten dusty molds.
I had first lightly dry sanded with a scrub pad, and dusted with a brush. But, It was the smell I really was trying not to get infused into the cigars. So I stuffed it with scrap tobacco twice. It helped some. Better on the others. Then I got bold and did some wet or maybe damp sanding. I too was afraid of messing them up. Dried it, stuffed it with more scrap bacc and pressed them overnight. It helped but the one really dusty one not so much. I guess these molds don't like being left apart. I'm always looking for clean molds.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Food safe Butcher Block Oil might help preserve the wood, it's looking pretty dry. No smell once dried. I use it on turned bowls.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
You could try a damp towel with hydrogen peroxide on it. The peroxide should kill any mold/bacteria etc. Do not use a soaking wet rag because too much water will drive the junk deeper into the wood and possibly crack the mold. Let it dry for a good week, give it a little rubbing with a scotch bright type material and hit it with a tiny bit of oil. Knucklehead suggested Butcher Block oil, that's probably a good choice. You don't want to use any oil that will impart a flavor.. unless of course you can get some tobacco oil!

If you have access to an ozonator you could put it in a box and ozonate it. It'll come out smelly clean as a whitstle. You can buy a really good ozonator for about $700.00 or so or you can make a small purpose built one from a fish tank ozonator and bubbling stone for probably $50.00. I know, lots of $$$$, just saying, if you have one.. use it.

Indianamac

Those are beauties. They both make perfectos. If you try them (of course you will), ignore the taper at the foot when you begin, and make the cigars a little shorter. A head taper is fairly easy. The foot taper requires a peculiar cut to the wrapper, and is a bit tricky. If you start with filler in low case (dry but doesn't crumble when crushed), then you'll have a better chance at having a decent draw no matter how tightly you roll it.

We await a photo of your cigar.

Bob

Thanks Bob,

I am waiting on my first shipment from WLT. As soon as it arrives, I plan on putting my new toys to work. I will post a picture at that time.
Thanks for the tip about the proper case, to acheive the proper draw. I'm sure that would have been one of my questions, later on down the road.

Indianamac

Did I see that tuck cutter on eBay ?
This sounds familiar. I too have gotten dusty molds.
I had first lightly dry sanded with a scrub pad, and dusted with a brush. But, It was the smell I really was trying not to get infused into the cigars. So I stuffed it with scrap tobacco twice. It helped some. Better on the others. Then I got bold and did some wet or maybe damp sanding. I too was afraid of messing them up. Dried it, stuffed it with more scrap bacc and pressed them overnight. It helped but the one really dusty one not so much. I guess these molds don't like being left apart. I'm always looking for clean molds.

You did see that cutter on e-bay. It needs a new spring, as the one on it is broken. It will still cut, but you have to push in on the handle a bit. My molds are not too bad and have cleaned up nice with a dry brush. When I get my tobacco, I may try your stuffing idea.

Indianamac

You could try a damp towel with hydrogen peroxide on it. The peroxide should kill any mold/bacteria etc. Do not use a soaking wet rag because too much water will drive the junk deeper into the wood and possibly crack the mold. Let it dry for a good week, give it a little rubbing with a scotch bright type material and hit it with a tiny bit of oil. Knucklehead suggested Butcher Block oil, that's probably a good choice. You don't want to use any oil that will impart a flavor.. unless of course you can get some tobacco oil!

If you have access to an ozonator you could put it in a box and ozonate it. It'll come out smelly clean as a whitstle. You can buy a really good ozonator for about $700.00 or so or you can make a small purpose built one from a fish tank ozonator and bubbling stone for probably $50.00. I know, lots of $$$$, just saying, if you have one.. use it.

I like the peroxide idea for killing mold & bacteria. I appreciate all of your feedback & suggestions. I actually have another mold coming, so I may have another to do. Actually the cigar mold in the upper right of the picture, other than being a little dusty, could probably be used the way it is. I would like to treat them all with the peroxide idea, before use.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I like the peroxide idea for killing mold & bacteria. I appreciate all of your feedback & suggestions. I actually have another mold coming, so I may have another to do. Actually the cigar mold in the upper right of the picture, other than being a little dusty, could probably be used the way it is. I would like to treat them all with the peroxide idea, before use.
I think the peroxide idea is a good one. I do want to remind you that mold spores are in the air all the time so you will just be killing/bleaching the resident colonies (a good idea). This is NOT proof against mold in the future if you permit conditions be favorable for their growth. Keep the mold as dry as is reasonable. I do not favor oiling or waxing molds. However careful you are there is still a chance of some part of the stuff you use migrating to and adversely flavoring your smoke. That would be a shame after all the effort you put in.

John

Indianamac

Thanks john,

I hear ya' on the oil and wax thang! I really think the peroxide is going to be my only treatment. I just received a third mold in the mail today and it is really in great condition. It is a 54 & you can have 25 smaller cigars or 50 7-1/2" cigars. I hope my rolling skills and blending skills, eventually allow me to fill this one up!!Cigar items 001.jpgCigar items 002.jpg

AmaxB

I liked reading this thread was thinking about buying a few used molds, so I got some insight first - good deal.
I like the 54 mold and see it is set up (or made) to knife cut and double the number of cigars.....

Indianamac

I liked reading this thread was thinking about buying a few used molds, so I got some insight first - good deal.
I like the 54 mold and see it is set up (or made) to knife cut and double the number of cigars.....

Have not had a chance to fill it yet. Hope'n to, maybe over the winter. I'm glad to see one of my threads contributed to something helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.