My Simple Kiln $31 Bucks and an old Fridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmaxB

Neighbors Cat?
Stuff Flue Cured from the Patch

You are one of us now. Muahahahahaaa
Hooked Baby Hooked
I like the dark air so much I rolled all my smokes for today out of it, no mix just Dark Air. A really nice full flavored smoke that is really smooth, let's you enjoy the taste.
I'm going to put this in my brick and mortar store right next to the VA Bright I got some regulars that are going to like it.

Brown Thumb

That is whats going into my mini next
I could have swore that said.
Whats going into Mini next.
But then again I could have swore the bottles of Molson were talking back to me last night.

AmaxB

Here are two tobaccos- on the left Dark Air Cured- on the right not sure I think it is MD 609
The Tobacco on the right is very dark and gummy when smoked is mild and very rich full flavor but if you let it sit
in the ashtray and burn a bit, when picked up to smoke you will think some one stole your Cig and replaced it with
a Cigar not bad lol.
The dark air is a pleasant Cig not bad if you mix the two ether...
2-tobaccos_SM.JPG

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I like Dark Air and Maryland in my cigarette blend. Try 40% Flue Cure, 20% Burley, 20% Maryland, 10% Dark Air, 10% Oriental (I like Izmir). Smooth full flavor blend. The Maryland smooths out the Burley and the Dark Air brings the nicotine back up, all combine for a great flavor.

Lakota

Founding Member
I watched the video and I have the same controller. I am not sure why he has it wired like that. This is how I wired mine and I have no problem running my crock pot. I really would not advise running 110v thru phone wire, very high voltage for that size wire. I also don't use a relay. I see he is using a 12 v supply, you can buy these models in 12 volt and eliminate the relay.
WEe9O.png

Last edited:

AmaxB

Some PIDs you can control direct (no SSR), some you can choose, and some you must use a relay. He is powering the PID with 12 volts if I understand what's going on and his 110VAC is going through the SSR only, load side.
There are PIDs that can be powered with less than 110VAC.

Lakota

Founding Member
I guess what i was trying to say ( not very clearly) was the 110v model will handle the power supply to the kiln without a ssr. This is my 3rd year with no problems with that controller. Sorry about the confusion. Russ

AmaxB

I have no PID on this little kiln. The PID on my big chamber to control the vents is running on an internal switch it too has no problems Russ.
I like em with a built-in fewer things to deal with.
I've had some Bright Leaf in it the last 4 weeks. I tried a new approach I used a deep plastic tub making layers each about 4 inches thick and spray misted each with distilled water as I made them and covered the tub. At about 2 weeks
I removed it and rotated the layers misting again. Took it out about an hour ago and pulled some leaves for sampling it is very dark see the pics. I just smoked two cigarettes made with it smooth as silk...after a rest it should smell pretty good.
Aged_Br-Leaf1.JPG..Aged_Br-Leaf2.JPG..Aged_Br-Leaf3.JPG

Lakota

Founding Member
looks good. I think I will give the tubs a try. I am having problems right now keeping my temp up. The kiln is in the garage at -5c, I will have to either move it into the house or insulate it better. The wife has already commented about the smell and not really wanting it in the house,so I guess insulation is the answer for now.

AmaxB

I am lucky my wife can't smell much of anything and I like it. I just found this video it has some information and they are definitely wetting the Tobacco. I found it interesting that the let it set 24 hours before stacking it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejdx9k8DfPw
Do try the tubs Lakota it makes much of the leaf go black it looks burned but isn't and the whole stem goes black very easy to rib. I emptied my big chamber today (the last of my Flue Cure) in the morning I am going to get tubs and will be careful of the type of plastic. I do not seal the tub it can breath but the vast majority of moisture and heat are trapped.
Kilning MD 609 if the leaves are in good shape makes great wrapper. Many here have mentioned B Bonner's tobacco so I gave him a try Broad Leaf, MD 609, and Red tips. The Red tips have a great aroma and the other two look very good. Now that I have the big kiln back I'll be putting select tobaccos in the little one.

Lakota

Founding Member
I will grab some food grade tubs today and let you know how it works for me. I have tried BB's maryland and it is quite mild, i blended some in with his smoke cured and used a cherry casing for some pipe tobacco. Thanks

Rickey60

You guys need to post some updates on your kilning projects. I have enjoyed reading this thread. I just started some VB in my kiln with the temp set at 128 and humidity at 70%. What do ya'll think about these settings?
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.