Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Grin updates!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessicaNicot

I just want to let everyone know that the GRIN system and website will be updated on Oct 1, 2013. the website will be getting a makeover and hopefully be more user friendly. and i'll be slowly making changes behind the scenes to edit data and this will aid in your searches. stay tuned for more details!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
it would be nice if it was in laymans terms instead of a bunch of numbers, and the sceintific name,,,,

i have no clue what im looking at when i go to that site,

Knucklehead

Founding Member

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I did about 1% of it, The folks over there forwarded me onto the download section. I downloaded it and organized it a few different ways, location, type, PI number, Plant name.

JessicaNicot

ok, so for a few details. after the new system goes live in October, in the main search box you will be able to search for tobacco accessions by the PI#, the accession code (TI#, TC#, etc), or the cultivar name. however, the latter two options may only become available after I edit the records. I have no access to edit the records until the new system comes online, but im going to try to generate some tables that will be ready for import to get this aspect up and running as soon as possible.

in the advanced search section you will be able to add search criterion such as source location (aka origin). there are a lot of other criterion options (which you can stack), but I think this is the one that will be the most useful.

depending on how busy I am (and whether the site is up or not-- I think they're working on it right now because I couldn't access one section), i'll try to post some advanced screen shots.

JessicaNicot

Jessica,
Will the cultivar name include those hidden names found only in the original accession document?

Bob

yes they will! for as many accessions for which I have found information for, the names and identifiers given by the donors will be included. a lot of this information I retrieved from the original plant inventory (PI) lists, as well as from the written correspondence of the collectors themselves.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
yes they will! for as many accessions for which I have found information for, the names and identifiers given by the donors will be included. a lot of this information I retrieved from the original plant inventory (PI) lists, as well as from the written correspondence of the collectors themselves.
Very well done, Lady. Thank you.

John

workhorse_01

That's a huge undertaking you have there. I have to ask... The accessions that don't have pictures are they going to have photo's after your update? I only ask because I don't know if knucks can read. LOL Seriously though are you adding photo's as you go?

FALaholic

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Working on it, sorry :(

Edit: my website is down....for some reason, sorry

JessicaNicot

That's a huge undertaking you have there. I have to ask... The accessions that don't have pictures are they going to have photo's after your update? I only ask because I don't know if knucks can read. LOL Seriously though are you adding photo's as you go?

I will be adding photos as I go. all of the photos I have are already available, except this year's which will hopefully be up later this fall/winter. I only grow 250 in the field every year so it'll take some time before I get everything documented.

JessicaNicot

ok, so here are a few screen shots I just took from the new GRIN website that is connected to our training server.

the basic search screen is just a simple box. in this case I typed "Americano Tracuateua" because I had just set up that never-before-entered name in the database. the search yielded one accession, TI 108. (I do not know why it says this is unavailable, but i'll get around to fixing those bugs too.)

basic search.jpg

if you select the Advanced search option, you can enter multiple criteria (in this case, all Nicotiana accessions from Brazil). you can even select states within countries, but I don't think that data is entered into the database yet either (even tho I have it).

country search.jpg

below is a screenshot of the results for that search. there are lots of neat features: select all, select none, inverse selection. where it says Options there is a feature where you can further filter your results. when you have checked the plants you want, clicking the Action button is where you will be able to add your items to your cart.

country search results.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.