Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from Occupied Dixie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern Planter

Thanks folks. I planted my first little crop of tobacco (KT 209) this year, and, shall we say it's a learning experience. Much of the plot is shaded during the day and the plants in deep shade are no bigger than a pumpkin. The lower leaves of the small plants are turning yellow, so I thought I would cut off the leaves and prime cure them and let the little plants continue on. The plants that get some direct sun during the day are doing great.

My barn has two dedicated bents for sticks, and the rest of it is a traditional old yeoman farmers barn with crib, loft and stalls. After reading the whole thread (Stalk harvesting or leaf), I may prime cure the whole shebang. I'm aiming for a mild smoke.

On a side note, I have been lucky so far this year in that the good bugs are keeping the bad bugs at bay, and I have not need to spray. (Knocks on wood.)

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Southern Planter

Oops, sorry folks, somehow I goofed up and my first post ended up here in the introductions.

After I bought an old Antebellum farm my wife nick named me Oliver after the TV show Green Acres. The county agent will be thrilled that I found you folks, now I can bug you guys instead of him.

DGBAMA

Welcome to the forum. A lot of good folks here willing to share knowledge. My first year too.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Welcome. You'll find the FAQ's at the top of the page an informative place to start. Good luck with your cure. BigBonner, one of our members, is a commercial grower from Kentucky. There's some good folks up there.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Welcome to our merry band. Good folks here. Just ask your questions and then sort thru the answers for the one you alike.

John

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
your proablly going to need 3 more types of bacca to mix with the 1 strain you grew,

what you grew was a burley proablly too strong to smoke all by itself.

Rickey60

your proablly going to need 3 more types of bacca to mix with the 1 strain you grew,

what you grew was a burley proablly too strong to smoke all by itself.
I agree with Chicken. I know I can't smoke a burley by its self. You will need to get you some other to blind with your burley.
Rick

Southern Planter

I traded the transplants for a batch of home made snickerdoodle cookies, and that's the only variety the chap had!

This was a trial run on a lark, but I sure my hard drinking brother can smoke the stuff up.

DGBAMA

look up "toasting burley" if it is too strong. Lots of info on making it milder; or get some of Don's VA Brightleaf to mix.

bosun

And welcome from the occupied north!
Seems it is getting harder and harder to hide anymore..

Status
Not open for further replies.