Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New Nember From Southern Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas

Hows it going guys, just wanted to introduce myself. I am 32 and live about an hour north of Paducha KY. This is my first year growing tobacco for better or worse, but its been fun. I planted half a dozen Turkish plants that are doing pretty well, and am planning on 30 or so next season. This site seems to be a wealth of knowledge and I'm looking forward to picking some brains about the ins and outs of growing tobacco. I found the site while trying to figure out how to turn my Turkish into something that would smoke well in a pipe and stumbled onto Bobs post on Cavendish, it took a few nights to read through it all, but I was impressed with the amount of trial and error that many of you went through to find ways to do it. Well its nice to meet every one and thanks in advance for posts to future questions:)

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
it's good to see so many people trying thier luck at backyard growing,

spread the word, bacca dont hve to be bought

leverhead

Welcome! Trial and error seems to be a big part of this, not so much for growing, but for curing and getting it ready for smoking. Your local weather is something you'll need to adapt to.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I found the site while trying to figure out how to turn my Turkish into something that would smoke well in a pipe and stumbled onto Bobs post on Cavendish, it took a few nights to read through it all, but I was impressed with the amount of trial and error that many of you went through to find ways to do it.

If you like Turkish in a pipe, I'm really sold on Samsun-Maden as a stand alone in a pipe. There's a couple of members that will agree with me. We'll get you hooked up with some seeds this winter.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome.

If you kiln Turkish, or allow it to age through the winter and spring, it will make a lovely, mild pipe tobacco all on its own. Of course, there are a score of different "Turkish" varieties, each with its own attributes. Patience is difficult with a small first grow, but time makes better tobacco.

Bob

DGBAMA

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good knowledge here.

WARNING: TOBACCO GROWING CAN BE MORE ADDICTIVE THAN SMOKING; NEITHER FTT NOR ANY OF ITS MEMBERS CAN BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY TROUBLE YOU GET IN WITH YOUR BETTER HALF FOR DIGGING OUT HER FLOWERS NEXT YEAR TO MAKE MORE SPACE FOR TOBACCO.

Thomas

WARNING: TOBACCO GROWING CAN BE MORE ADDICTIVE THAN SMOKING; NEITHER FTT NOR ANY OF ITS MEMBERS CAN BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY TROUBLE YOU GET IN WITH YOUR BETTER HALF FOR DIGGING OUT HER FLOWERS NEXT YEAR TO MAKE MORE SPACE FOR TOBACCO.

Well I have a 50'x 60' section of the garden (currently her acorn squash patch) that is slated for repo next spring, but I did build her a raised bed for a herb garden this summer so it may go unprotested LOL. Anyway, it is the only area that gets good sun so it has to be, right. well I haven't made my plans public, figure that it may be better to just do it and wait till she notices

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Well I have a 50'x 60' section of the garden (currently her acorn squash patch) that is slated for repo next spring, but I did build her a raised bed for a herb garden this summer so it may go unprotested LOL. Anyway, it is the only area that gets good sun so it has to be, right. well I haven't made my plans public, figure that it may be better to just do it and wait till she notices

I've discovered the same thing. It's much easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission. Plus, you get your way more often. :D

Thomas

If you like Turkish in a pipe, I'm really sold on Samsun-Maden as a stand alone in a pipe. There's a couple of members that will agree with me.

I will have to put it on my grow list for next season

Status
Not open for further replies.