Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How long should I age my Izmir Ozbas and Xhanti Yaka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Title pretty much asks it all.

I suncured my orientals/turkish, most are a dark brown with some green here or there. Most of my orientals didn't make it past transplanting (my mistake :rolleyes:, they grew 4 times faster than the other strains) but I have enough to fill a shoe box.

My question again is how long do I let these age for decent taste? I know my YTB and Virginia Bright Leaf smoke amazing right after the leaves are dried. Can this be done with turkish?

Thanks!

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
The only thing you can do is smoke them now and if they don't taste good wait another few months and try try again (or put in a kiln). My Samsun Maden and Tekekoy ( both Turkish) smoke fantastically and they are not even aged. As soon as they were done color curing I began smoking them.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Both Izmir Ozbas and Xanthi Yaka develop subtle flavors and aromas after kilning, or after simply aging for about a year. Since you don't have much of them, just tuck them away, and forget about them. In Turkey, Orientals are warehoused, and allowed to go into a sweat the following summer, before being release to market.

I agree with Randy. They are smokable early on.

Bob

Southern Planter

I have a dumb question. I like pipe and cigars but don't smoke cigarettes. I have always herd that Camel cigarettes are loved by old geezers who love a good harsh smoke, and other folks turn green smoking them. Are Camels really made with Turkish tobacco? From what I read hear the Turkish stuff tastes better than burly.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Turkish tobaccos are very mild with low nicotine but flavorful. A little goes a long way. Most cigarette blends consist of about 10% Turkish.

DonH

I have a dumb question. I like pipe and cigars but don't smoke cigarettes. I have always herd that Camel cigarettes are loved by old geezers who love a good harsh smoke, and other folks turn green smoking them. Are Camels really made with Turkish tobacco? From what I read hear the Turkish stuff tastes better than burly.
I think that reputation of Camels being harsh came from the days when all Camels were unfiltered. Anything unfiltered is going to be harsher. They were probably smoother than Lucky Strikes or Chesterfields. But it's been so long since I've tried any of them I can't remember. I do know that adding Turkish to cig or pipe blends will smooth it out.

DGBAMA

I flue cured some Izmir that just a week out of the chamber is really enjoyable by itself. Flavorful and just a slight sweetness. Too bad I don't have more of it.

DonH

My Bursa tastes great right away. The Xanthi Yaka is going to need aging. It's harsh, but man, the flavors are amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.