Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Shredding leaf for cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Does the powermatic shred long ribbons or chopped?

I think it does cross cut to some degree, although I can get a little bit longer cut by shredding in low medium case than if I shred in low case. You won't get full leaf lengths but I have found the length to be perfect for cigarettes or pipe. No problem at all with the cherry falling off the end of a cigarette or long shreds hanging out the end of one.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I think it does cross cut to some degree, although I can get a little bit longer cut by shredding in low medium case than if I shred in low case. You won't get full leaf lengths but I have found the length to be perfect for cigarettes or pipe. No problem at all with the cherry falling off the end of a cigarette or long shreds hanging out the end of one.
Mostly correct. Great for cigs but I prefer a coarser shag in the pipe.

John

Rickey60

OK, I broke down and ordered a powermatic from Don yesterday. I can't wait to get it. I'm tired of cutting with a knife. lol
Rick

Knucklehead

Founding Member
OK, I broke down and ordered a powermatic from Don yesterday. I can't wait to get it. I'm tired of cutting with a knife. lol
Rick

Hey, congrats on the shredder purchase. You're going to love it, especially if you've been hand shredding. It's the Chrysler Imperial of shredders!!

Boboro

You gonna love that thang.Shred in low case [makes noise when handled but don't crumble apart.] High case will gum it up. When you gum it up.[it happens] Spray water in the inslot till it runs out clear, wlile runnin the shredder. then dry with a hair dryer.

Brown Thumb

Beer clears the Jambs better than anything else.
I am not kidding either.

BarG

Founding Member
Your gonna love the shit out of it. I am going on 2 1/2 years of home grown exclusivly and purchases from WLT and FTT members. My cig. smoking Has been cut in half and my cigar smoking started. The shredders can't be beat for cigs. Believe it or not a few cigar varietys make a welcome addition shredded into my cig. blends.

winston-smoker

Tomorrow I'm going to put my knife skills (or lack thereof?) to the test; actually, I plan to repeat the process I used with the sample I had back in March, but I'm hoping I'll do a better job this time. My whole leaf order arrived late on Tuesday, and tomorrow I'll finally have the time to process it. I got two of the new cigarette blends: the Virginia blend and the American Old-Style Bold blend. I can hardly wait to smoke them. I wonder which I'll like better? I'm guessing the Virginia is closer to what I'm accustomed to, though I do like my smokes strong and full-bodied. The anticipation feels like Christmas Eve in November!:D

winston-smoker

Well, I spent the afternoon processing a lb. of Don's Virginia Blend -- manually. First I removed all the midrib stems, that took me about 80 minutes. Then I used a paper cutter to cut the leaves into strips, of course, that would be nowhere near as narrow as what a tobacco shredder would achieve. Then the strips went into the blender, a little at a time, set on shred and using the pulse button. That cuts the strips into "goldfish-food" flakes. The cutting and blending took about 70 minutes. Then I spread all the flakes on to a baking sheet, sprayed half of the included casing on, and put into a 250 degree oven for 10 minutes to toast. Once out of the oven, I sprayed the remaining casing on, and allowed to air dry for an hour before bagging. I figure it will take at least 24 hours for the bagged tobacco to be ready to stuff into filter tubes. After I have a chance to smoke it, I'll start a new thread to review the Virginia Blend, and then later, once I have a chance to process it, to also review the American Old-Style Bold Blend. What I did may be considered a mutilation of Don's fine leaves, but if I'm pleased with how it smokes that's really all that matters in the end.;)

Knucklehead

Founding Member
If you're not happy with the results, try toasting only the Burley. I'm looking forward to your review.

winston-smoker

If you're not happy with the results, try toasting only the Burley. I'm looking forward to your review.

I'm aware that it is Burley that is usually toasted, and I considered doing exactly that. But I was thinking, old Lucky Strike ads touted that the tobacco was toasted, and L&M, before being acquired by Philip Morris (when it was still Liggett & Myers flagship brand) also used toasted tobacco. I don't know if Lucky Strike was 100% Burley (I doubt it), but L&M certainly was not. So I just toasted all of it. I'll say this, the aroma from the oven smelled nice.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I think there's no cigarette blend made up with 100% Burley, even old French dark blended cigarettes like Gitanes or Gauloises Brunes (which are not available nowadays, I guess) used to contain approx. 70% Burley. How strong they were, puff :)

winston-smoker

Actually, I'm pretty sure that both French brands are still available. But they will have to conform to the E.U.'s regulations on tar and nicotine yields, so they've most likely dramatically changed. Vive la France -- Piss on the E.U.

Status
Not open for further replies.