Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Shredding leaf for cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickey60

Tell me how you shred your whole leaf for use in a tobacco inserter. I have been using a blinder but I don't like how it packs. It's OK but I think small shreds would be better than flakes.
Rick

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
pasta maker, with angel hair attachment, then 2nd time through with 'whatever' attachment to break up long strands.

DGBAMA

I scrunch up several leaves to a large cigar shape, roll anotherleaf tightly around the bunch and slice crosswise with a sharp knife as thinly as possible. Then fluff the slices by shaking in a Ziploc. Result: my shred on left; commercial on the right.I

Attachments

• IMG_20130830_221500_274.jpg
    IMG_20130830_221500_274.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 294

Rickey60

Bama, that looks great, is that bright leaf you have shredded? How long does it take you to shrewd enough to make a couple packs a day?

DGBAMA

Still sampling small quantity. Half dozen at a time or so. Not too much work but looking forward to a shredder.

That is the flue cured SR.

Rickey60

Still sampling small quantity. Half dozen at a time or so. Not too much work but looking forward to a shredder.

That is the flue cured SR.
It sure looks rich and full of flavor and aroma. I am looking forward to a shredder also, but need to hold off till I'm sure I need to put out that much money. BTW, your grow this year look great, I hope to follow in your success next year. I only have 8 Burley's this and the only name on the seed was "common burley" so not sure what kind it is. I was soooo new I didn't know what kind of seed I needed to grow for cigarettes, lol That is before I found you guys.
Rick

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I have several different brands of Pasta makers, an attachment for a Kitchen Aide mixer and the Powermatic shredder. Hands down the Powermatic shredder is far superior. It shreds faster than you can feed the leaf. You can use dry leaf unlike the pasta makers which require the leaf to be pretty moist. The Powermatic shredder will give you a perfect cigarette shred (a shag cut). The pasta makers will give you a ribbon cut.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
if my powermatic shredder ever broke,

id get another one,

if your serious about making your own bacca,

that device is a must have.

Boboro

It would be great if it did. You have the powermatic don't you? Do you roll a lot at one time.
I have a Powermatic shreadder and a Powermatic 2 elc. injector. Both are the best I have tried. Ill stuff 2 cartons at a time. And shred about 5lb.at a time. The new shredder will be more affordable Than the Powermatic for folks just getting started. Ill get one to mess around with. We had a hard time tryin to find a good way to shred when I got into growin.

Matty

I used to roll rock hard cigar shape bundles of leaf and slice them on a cutting board. Then I made a kind of shredder that works like a tuck cutter. I now have a nice, antique, teck 1 shredder. I only smoke half a pack a day or less so shredding enough has never really been an issue for me.

Southern Planter

My Mother used to make a cute little braid, then cut it on a board contraption with a large knife that looked like a paper cutter.

Does the powermatic shred long ribbons or chopped?

Status
Not open for further replies.