Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

seed exchange thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

I am working on an opening post to create a 2014 seed exchange thread. I think I have the structure about right but am going to post the text of the thread here and would welcome input reguarding the text of the opening post and proposed procedure/posting guidelines. If it is just not a good idea say so, if you have ideas to make it better, please share. With season winding down and talk of next year I think it would be nice to have a place to organize who has what to share and what they would like to have. In a couple weeks I will take input given here and create the official thread.

DGBAMA

OFFICIAL 2014 SEED EXCHANGE THREAD

I am starting this thread for those that are interested in exchanging seed with other members for the 2014 growing season. The purpose is to centralize a list of who has what seed that they would like to share, and what seed they would like to receive. With enough participation, hopefully we can locate another member that has what we want and wants what we have, creating a simple exchange where even postage evens out.

The guidelines:

Seed offered for exchange should be ONLY from plants of known variety that were properly bagged to prevent cross-pollination.

Seed should be germination tested by the grower (make sure it is good) before being offered on this thread; especially for our northern guys with short growing seeds it would be frustrating to say the least to think you have that special seed you have spent a year dreaming about growing, only to find out after 3 weeks of no germination it is not good and there is no time to reorder and replant until next year.

If you have a question about a specific variety please create a separate thread. This thread is Only to centralize varieties available for exchange.

The “business part” of any exchanges to be made should be conducted via PM with the other member, not here in this thread.

Post updates; if you run out of an available seed, re-post your list to reflect that so you don’t continue to get inquiries about seed you don’t have. Same for your “want” list; if you have received seed, please remove it from your list.

Updates are not as complicated as it sounds: Create your original post in Word, Notepad, etc on your computer and save the file. Then copy & paste the text to your post. This way you can edit and repost in just a couple minutes.

If you are willing to send seed to other members without an exchange, please put that in your post, such as “will share seed for cost of postage”.

Here is a posting format; If everyone uses the same format then the thread will be much easier to read:

SAMPLE:

I have the following varieties of seed that I am willing to share:

Variety: Status: (expected or ready; ready indicates that you have test sprouted the seed)

1. Silver River (expected)
2. Crillo Black (ready)
3. Turkish Izmir (expected)
Seeds I would like to grow:

1. BSS Maden
  2. Florida Sumatra
  3. etc…..

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i got a lot of bagged seed, for next years trade, wheres the thread at<

Ishi

I have everything I grew bagged will have it available later in the fall. Will post a list when I harvest the seed.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I think for this to work you will need the Admin(s) to create a new category. Something like "Seed Exchange". You'll need to put a sticky up right away noting that this seed exchange is different to, and not related to the FTT seedbank.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
There is now a forum under Market Place for Swapping and Trading tobacco seed.

http://wholeleaftobaccollc.com/foru...-Swap-and-Trade-Your-Pure-Strain-Tobacco-Seed

When DGBAMA creates a guideline post, we can close that post to edits, make it a sticky, then allow members to create threads within the forum, in a manner similar to classified adds. The simplest approach is to just expect and allow the usual commentary that occurs in all threads (despite urgings to the contrary). Trying to regulate it more closely will rapidly become unmanageable. We could allow DGBAMA to moderate the forum, but I would suggest just letting it develop as a natural set of threads.

I'm certainly open to other approaches, but treating it as an ordinary forum will require the least work, and will function in a way familiar to everyone.

Bob

DGBAMA

Thank you Bob. That should work. If moderation becomes needed i will be happy to help. The idea is to bring member seed availability into a consolidated area where it is easier to find. hopefully we can also take some load off of Don for spring seedbank orders. ll

workhorse_01

When germinating our seeds are you going to require at least 200 seeds of each variety for the test as explained by Sky? This is members only right? Oh by the way I'm in.

DGBAMA

When germinating our seeds are you going to require at least 200 seeds of each variety for the test as explained by Sky? This is members only right? Oh by the way I'm in.
I had not thought about setting a number of seeds to be tested but that is a good idea. The point is simply to make sure your seed is viable before offering it to other members to avoid springtime frustrations.I

workhorse_01

Sky said in the Seed Germination post "When you sprinkle a few seeds on a paper towel to germ test them you are only getting a rough idea of the germ rate. It nearly always looks great and nearly everyone thinks they got 95% or better. (including me at first) But if you actually count out 200 seeds and then count the sprouts in 10-14 days, you might be surprised how many didn't sprout.
" I like your idea, and I think we should have a set guideline for how to do a germination test. He also said " you shouldn't test right away. You should wait at least 2 months before germination testing. 4-5 months is even better for tobaccos" We certainly cant wait 4-5 months but why not two? I want in on this and will hold myself to what I think are the highest standards. I don't want to send my seed to you or anyone and they not hatch. LOL. I bought some seed from a e store and not one germinated. I think they were crushed in the mail system from no padding, so all of mine will be padded when mailed.
I had not thought about setting a number of seeds to be tested but that is a good idea. The point is simply to make sure your seed is viable before offering it to other members to avoid springtime frustrations.I

Status
Not open for further replies.