Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

2014 Grow-out Needs for Cigar Varieties from Nicotiana Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Seed for the following cigar varieties, donated to FTT by Doug at the Nicotiana Project, are in need of a refresh grow-out in 2014. They will be available for distribution to experienced FTT members willing to:
  • accept a possibly reduced germination rate
  • grow at least 4 plants of that variety
  • properly bag at least two of them
  • harvest and clean the dried seed
  • return ~2000 seeds to the FTT seed bank the following fall
  • you keep the remainder of the seed
  • you keep all the leaf

cigar wrapper: photos - http://nicotianaprojectnet.ipage.com/cigar_wrapper.htm
  • AST
  • C-918
  • CCC-L [sup]1[/sup]
  • CT C-2 [sup]1[/sup]
  • CT-15
  • CT-49 {SHADE}
  • CT-49 Barwell [sup]1[/sup] {SHADE}
  • Florida 17 {ref: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00066043/00001/1j}
  • Florida 2612 [sup]1[/sup]
  • GC-2 [sup]1[/sup]
  • Gen 911 [sup]1[/sup]
  • J. Williams [sup]1[/sup]
  • Kupchonos [sup]1[/sup]
  • M-1 [sup]1[/sup]
  • M-2
  • Magnolia
  • Metacomet {SHADE}
  • O-40 [sup]1[/sup]
  • Poquonock {SHADE}
  • Scantic [sup]1[/sup]
cigar binder: photos - http://nicotianaprojectnet.ipage.com/cigar_binder.htm
  • Havana 263
  • Havana 322
cigar filler: photos - http://nicotianaprojectnet.ipage.com/cigar_filler.htm
  • Dutch (OHIO)
  • PA 60-19
  • PA Swarr-Hibshman (a PA seedleaf; high-yielding; broad leaves)

There are about 20 additional cigar varieties that were provided by the Nicotiana Project, but that have been grown-out in 2013, and do not need a refresh.

Requests will be assigned up to the availability of seed (keeping some in reserve). You will receive 25 or more (likely ~100) seeds per variety requested. Because of possible customs issues, if you are not within the US, I will send seed only if there is a sufficient quantity for a variety to be also grown in the US.

Make request by sending a PM to deluxestogie, rather than by posting in this thread.

Bob

Last edited:

DGBAMA

Don't know a lot about cigars yet but that I have enjoyed my first few immensely.

I do know I have always liked the flavor of the darker wrappers, smooth & rich.

I do not know any of the varieties you list by name but if any of them are "dark wrapper" varieties, I will take on a couple for grow out that meet this criteria.

madhouse

if i can be of any help and you are willing to send over the pond i am more than willing to do a grow out on a couple.

Bill

skychaser

[*]grow at least 4 plants of that variety
[*]properly bag at least two of them

I strongly urge you all to grow more plants than this if you are saving seed. That is waaaay to few, imho.

I have CT 49 and Ohio Dutch, and will have Florida 17 and Magnolia seed available soon. All were grown in groups of 24 or 36 plants.

BarG

Founding Member
Knucklehead, I think you probably have earned the title of official: Thread referrer toer. Keep up the good work!:cool:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
So far as I can determine, the following members have sent me a PM offering to grow certain of these varieties:

• istanbulin
  • Nrustica
  • FALaholic
  • Jack in NB
  • Chillardbee
  • workhorse_01
I'll send a personal PM to each member in this list with the requested varieties, for verification. (My computer gave up the ghost; I've set up a new one, and sifted through the requests...so there may be errors.)

If any other members wish to request specific varieties (you're on your own with regard to determining goose from gander), send me a PM with specific varieties.

Bob

jekylnz

So far got 16 of magnolia and ct49 growing. .thats the only 2 variaties i can see that I have on nicotiana project list...will bag a few and keep seed if needed..will be keeping seed regardless. .so if everything else fails I'll have some at the end of nz grow.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The seed has been mailed to everyone (but indianjoe, whose seed will go out Friday). Some have already received it. Outside US recipients should expect it in a week or so. Every needed variety will be grown by at least one member within the US, so the NZ, Turkey, South Africa, Canada growers should be able to share their seed yield more locally.

Thanks to all who offered to help the FTT seed bank in this way.

Bob

FALaholic

Have to say. The AST, has been a challenge. I find it to have a very poor germ rate. When I do get a germ, latching becomes a problem. Using either florescent grow lights or outdoor shade, the sprouted seeds, just would not attach themselves to the soil and would eventually die. Right now I have the five growing that I wanted. All other grow-outs have been doing well.

Aaron

I really wish I could help with is grow out. I'm afraid I'm not going to have a place to grow this coming season as I expect to be right in the middle of moving when I would need to be starting plants. If any of you southern guys need an extra hand this season with planting or harvest please don't be afraid to ask. I'd love to be able to help in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.