Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Brown Thumbs Walk In kiln, Flue Cure, Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

This is what I got Guys & Gals for starters.
I had a Nile Kiln In this insulated room for drying wood when I made flooring.
The problem was it had a acid odor I did not like from the Oak i dried in it.
Last year I repainted It with kilz and now most of the odor is gone. If the rest does not go away after a few more heatings I will sheet it with aluminum.
Room is 8x16x7 high
Heat is 2 baseboards 2500 watts each. thermostat is just a wall thingy readjusted (scary) It does go up to 130 deg pretty quick if I remeamber correctly.
I was going to use a automatic humidifer but I do not think it will take the heat.
Vent holes are on side walls.
Need lots of Input and I can not burn this place down either, Well now that I think about it.:rolleyes:
Thanks,
photo_1 kiln.jpgphoto_2 kiln.jpgphoto_3 kiln.jpgphoto_4 kiln.jpg

AmaxB

Wow
Leak proof it
will need to move air in and out (closed loop)
I would use half the space.
Is that sheet rock if it is maybe cover walls, ceiling, floor with plastic barrier and hardie board than paint with a good oil base.
Will you grow enough tobacco to use it?
Is twisting my nuts thinking about it.....

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I recommend either a Ground Fault Circuit Breaker dedicated to that room, or GFCB outlets. Your lighting can be wet area lighting designed to go over shower stalls. For venting, poop fans vented through the attic and out the soffit (there may be soffit vents already there that you could use to avoid cutting holes). The poop fans can be controlled with a humidistat like on Amax's chamber.

Brown Thumb

Wow
Leak proof it, Already is all joints were siliconed, door is steel exterior with magnetic seals.
will need to move air in and out (closed loop),I have one 1 ft. square hole on each side wall, one front one back I can hook together with a axil fan between.
I would use half the space. I would have no problem filling.
Is that sheet rock if it is maybe cover walls, ceiling, floor with plastic barrier and hardie board than paint with a good oil base. It is 3 1/2 in. foam insulation on osb sealed & painted with exterior paint & kilz
Will you grow enough tobacco to use it? Of Course, I got baccy coming out my ars
Is twisting my nuts thinking about it..
I am not going there:p

workhorse_01

Easy on the nut biting, LOL. You need a better T-stat to go to 165*F either the ranco digital on ebay or if money is no problem check out the one fisherman came up with. That's where im going with mine.
;) Not ment like that!! But you asked for it...
I read some place long ago if a male Squirrel enters the territory of another male one will bite the nuts off of the other...
Thank god I'm not a Squirrel

AmaxB

Not needed..........
A good PID for temp ramp is not needed to control heat on off 30 to 50 bucks plus minus 1F is all you need. for heat control

Brown Thumb

Not needed..........
A good PID for temp ramp is not needed to control heat on off 30 to 50 bucks plus minus 1F is all you need. for heat control
I would like to start with the brains of the system before the mechanical
If I can use the base board heaters that would be good.
the Dcs 4000 is Sweet but from what I see it is 585. Bucks plus 70 for the harness and they mention another board which I could not find a price for but would be the relay board for the fans , heat, dampner
As for air flow cfm? Updraft, downdraft, holes are there for top side draft but don't think that will work
More than one closed loop or additional intake and exhaust in the loop?
Got to go picking leaf now

Knucklehead

Founding Member
If I'm not mistaken, most household baseboard heaters have a built-in breaker, to prevent overheating.

Bob

The GFCB's are used in wet locations (required by code in kitchens and bathrooms) to prevent short circuits that can cause fires.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

Knucklehead

Founding Member
This was true of the models offered at Lowe's.

Bob

I'm following you now. You were talking about the heater overheating, I was talking about high humidity causing a short in the outlet or circuit breaker. Two different topics.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My point is that there may be an embedded safety (one of those "CAUTION- DO NOT DISABLE" gadgets that will need to be disabled if the temp won't go over the desired temp for the chamber).

Bob

Brown Thumb

My point is that there may be an embedded safety (one of those "CAUTION- DO NOT DISABLE" gadgets that will need to be disabled if the temp won't go over the desired temp for the chamber).

Bob
I just hard wired them in to give it a try without a thermostat and see how long it takes to up to temp.

workhorse_01

What bob means is, The heaters are going to have to bring the room to 165*F and hold it there until the stems are dry, which will take upwards of 48hrs. The internal overload for a residential baseboard heater was never meant to reach or maintain that type of temperature. the internal circuit breaker will trip. If you have trouble I think it will be with the element itself.
I just hard wired them in to give it a try without a thermostat and see how long it takes to up to temp.

BarG

Founding Member
I hope the kilz does the trick. Those Nyle kilns are real nice but drying lumber does put out a lot of chemicals. So does fire damage on interior of homes and kilz is recommended after removing any charred or burnt lumber.

Brown Thumb

It is worth a try, If I fry them no big deal they were laying around. It is up to 100 degrees in there a little over 1/2 hr. so far.
Anybody ever try the inline fans, not the cheap ones either. I cant find a max temp on them.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You would have to rig something up, but those 12V electric cooling fans for cars will take alot of heat. Will you be using the fans for venting or circulation?

Brown Thumb

Circulating and venting, I am thinking of a closed loop design with 4in pvc pipe with holes like used for foundation drains. Running from one end of the room to the other one the floor & ceiling Hooked together so I do not have hot spots.
She is up to 145 deg. I checked how hot the element was and it is 280 deg +.

Brown Thumb

Just hit 165 degrees 2 hrs 50 min. I wonder if it will ramp up fast enough loaded. It was 58 degrees when I started it. I closed the two holes in the side walls up and it seemed to help more. I guess I will try again, I cant wait to see the electric bill. I could always wire it to the tenants fuse box;)
I will get the overdue rent one way or another :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.