Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cleaning a Powermatic S shredder

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonH

I ran some high case tobacco through my shredder and it gummed up the cutter/roller things. Shouldn't have been a problem, it was still shredding and I could just dry it out, but I was storing it in the basement and when the humidity got too high the gummed up tobacco in it got mold. So I need to take it apart and clean it. I also need to add the new mechanism that they sent me to replace the one that breaks for people.

Do I need to disassemble it to pull the rollers out? Seems like Yes.
what tool do I need to do that. Regular screwdrivers won't do it? Thanks!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Johlee can explain the procedure very well. Mine came with the upgrade so I haven't had to tear it down.

There are a few things I do differently from some of the guys that I feel is very good for the shredder and helps prevent gumming. I shred in low medium case, I don't shred over a pound at a time which allows the little bit of gum to dry before the next time, and when I've finished a shredding session, I run the shredder backwards until stuff quits falling out. Quite a bit of stuff will come out when you run it backwards.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The toggle switch. Push the switch away from you to turn machine on. Push switch toward you and hold down to run backwards. It's in case you shove too much tobacco in there and jam the machine. Running backwards will clear the jam. It's also good for getting excess crap out after shredding.

Boboro

If it wont run at all spray water from a water bottle let it sit. Keep doin this till it will run. then spray till water comes out clean. dry with hair dryer.

Brown Thumb

I would not put the kit in it if it is not needed.
the reason for the kit was the screws would come out and make a mess of everything.
It might have jambed because the screws backed out also .
I used locktite on my screws and have not had a problem since.
approx 200 pounds thru her
Also there are screws behind one gear.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
If it wont run at all spray water from a water bottle let it sit. Keep doin this till it will run. then spray till water comes out clean. dry with hair dryer.

I was just about to say that. The motor is far enough away from the gears and cutters to prevent shorting out...but you should still use it on a GFI outlet.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member

exactlly,,,,

i have to do this to mine often, I DONT HAVE A AIR COMPRESSOR. to clean it '' right '' after usage,

use the water, and have patience, but you stilll got to remove all 4 of the allen head screws, and expose the gears,,,

Knucklehead

Founding Member
This article from RYOmagazine explains the problems many people experience with their injectors. It was written before the powermatic shredder came out, but I think it also explains why so many people are experiencing gumming problems with their shredder. http://www.RYOmagazine.com/injectors.htm

Boboro

Thease ppl. are not nascar fans. I make 2 cartons a race. the onley time I sit still for 4 hours.

DonH

I was just about to say that. The motor is far enough away from the gears and cutters to prevent shorting out...but you should still use it on a GFI outlet.
Good. The place I do my shredding has a GFI outlet.

DonH

Thanks, guys. The water plus hair dryer method worked like a charm. Didn't have to open it or anything. I'll get in the habit of cleaning it regularly. I never did because it never actually jammed.

BarG

Founding Member
You guys must be beating the shit out of them. Mine aint intended for commercial duty so it aint used that way. It has never not responded to a stop and reverse during a jam due to overstuff which has been the xase. I dont shred in bulk like some but as a convienince for different varietys with ease, and mixing.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I run mine backwards after I am finished using it to help clean out tobacco left behind .

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i try to run mine till it ran dry, but it still had a incredible ammount of baccy unseen in it,

i thouroughlly cleaned it out after the last time i used it,
i keep my machine '' still in its box'' in the house, it isnt allowed to go out to the shed,it stays beside the vacuum-cleaner,

but when i run it, i usally run it like a wild horse, and dont stop till it's half-dead,

Status
Not open for further replies.