Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigar Leaf Long Term Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris A

Guys-

I have a couple bags of Don's leaf that I will not open for at least a year. Is it OK to just keep it sealed in the vapor proof bags it came in? Does it need to breath at all? I store in my basement at ~72 deg, minimal humidity due to air conditioner.

Also, I have leaf I use on a semi-regular basis stored in Foodsaver bags clipped shut. These dry out the leaf after a few months. Can I just spray some water on them & re-clip? Trying to avoid mold, but also trying to allow for further aging.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Rickey60

I would say yes to both questions. Just be careful how much water you spray on leaf before you clip it.
Rick

bonehead

i have used those little gell packs they make for keeping the tobacco i am using in good condition. you just hydrate them in distilled water and they slowly release moisture. i don't think i would use them for long term storage though. they tend to keep the tobacco in good smoking condition. sometimes you have to use more than one if there is a lot of dry tobacco. i sometimes use them with cigars in a plastic jar when i go camping also.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
i have used those little gell packs they make for keeping the tobacco i am using in good condition. you just hydrate them in distilled water and they slowly release moisture. i don't think i would use them for long term storage though. they tend to keep the tobacco in good smoking condition. sometimes you have to use more than one if there is a lot of dry tobacco. i sometimes use them with cigars in a plastic jar when i go camping also.

These humidipaks use two way technology to absorb or release moisture to keep 62% humidity in your container, which keeps the moisture content of your tobacco at 13%. It is new technology and different from the gel paks. http://www.freshstor.com/62-2-way-humidipak-technology.html Don't pay the high price for their stainless steel storage containers, the paks will work with any air tight container.

DonH

These humidipaks use two way technology to absorb or release moisture to keep 62% humidity in your container, which keeps the moisture content of your tobacco at 13%. It is new technology and different from the gel paks. http://www.freshstor.com/62-2-way-humidipak-technology.html Don't pay the high price for their stainless steel storage containers, the paks will work with any air tight container.
Pretty cool. The tobacco shop ten minutes from where I live carries them. I found out using the store locator in the website you linked.

BarG

Founding Member
Cardboard boxes. vapor bags' I can find those. What I can't find is burlap bags and such. Aside note here; How many pounds and keep it pithy. heh heh

Ishi

Who has links for burlap bags?
How many do you want? Local feed stores carry them to put nuts in. The last ones I got were very thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.