Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hungarian Baiano

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonH

I tested some Hungarian Baiano yesterday. It had a "dark" flavor, very nutty. No "light" flavors there. I think it will be good in pipe blends. I don't know if it's a keeper yet. I'm going to wait until it is kilned. It's a great producer, tall plants, huge leaves, but it does not color cure well. I'm going to have a ton of seeds.

skychaser

I was cleaning out the barn last week to make room for this years tobacco and came across 6 Baiano plants I had cut and hung whole late in the season two years ago. They didn't cure very well, which is typical for late season plants here, and had dried a greenish grey and brown. I had moved them to the back to let them sit a while longer and see if more green came out. They did color up more over time but still had a little green tint to the leaves here and there. I plucked off a couple nice looking leaves and chopped them up to smoke. They were quite good. The flavor was medium in strength but quite nice. It was very aromatic and had a bit of sweetness to it similar to Prilep. I was pleasantly surprised and had been expecting a much stronger flavored smoke. I'd say its a keeper if you let it age. I also had some Simox plants hanging with it that had colored better and were a nice medium brown. Simox is another Hungarian somewhat similar to Baiano. It didn't taste near as good as the Baiano did though. Less aromatic, no sweet taste and was kind of dry tasting when exhaled. It had even turned slightly yellow before it was cut while the Baiano was still very green at the end of my season. It is a tricky one to get colored but I'll give it a thumbs up for taste.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
My Biaino also dried a slight greenish gray/brown. Since the other 15 cultivars I cured all dried brown ( including 3 other Turkish) I would suspect this might be a characteristic of Biaino. I usually do not make a decision on whether to keep a tobacco or not until it has aged 1 year but so far Biaino does not seem like a keeper for me. The taste is mild and nicotine on the low side. To me, it is an "average" smoke, nothing great and nothing bad about it- just average.

DonH

I won't worry about the color, then. The front of the leaf has a nice color but the back is greyish green.

Markw

Hi JBD have you good any feedback yet on the LP Havana , or is it still in the kiln, I did see somewhere you said that it could make a good wrapper leaf if shade grown.

DonH

I just tasted some Hungarian Baiano, and I have to say after kilning and some aging, my opinion of it has improved. It has a strong yet smooth flavor. Kind of Burley-like but with lower pH. A bit of a spicy aftertaste but not a lot. Not super-distinctive or anything but pretty good. Given how well it produces, it may be a keeper.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thanks for the update Don. I got some Baiano seed from some anonymous Massachusetts outlaw. I'm looking forward to growing some. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.