Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cyprus Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
As written, there're only few hundred metric tons of Latakia left in their factory. I guess most of the stock is out of Cyprus. There's no mention about another place producing it. As said, although farmers want to grow and produce some, there's no attempt from the contactors or gov't. Being a de facto country (or politely, a state with limited recognition) is hard, they can't export goods easily.

Markw

My friend spends a lot of time in both the UK and Cyprus so it is hard to catch him. Next time I see him I will ask the question where he came from in Cyprus. His family grew tobacco years ago out there, but as I said earlier in this thread he advised me that they don't grow tobacco any more. He has promised to give me a contact of someone who still sells Cyprus tobacco seed out there. Hopefully I will be able to catch up with him when he gets back to the UK in the next week or so..

istanbulin

Founding Member
I'll also try to find a contact in that cooperative/association I mentioned in the other post.

rainmax

Founding Member
I also received Cyprus Latakia???

Latakia is something indeterminate.
My friend said is an Izmir type which have been cultivated from late 18th century and have adapted to hot and dry conditions of the island. The only reason I looked for Lattakia is that everywhere around my house grows the shrub that is mainly used (up to 90%) for the fire-curing process. Is the Pistacia Lentiscus which only in southern Chios gives the natural mastic.
Anyway as Latakia is mainly a curing process I say nothing about the varietal purity.The PI 483069 in ars-grin's data base, in my opinion is from plants growing in Syria. Will see.....

If that helps anything. Also have some family friends living in Cyprus. Maybe I can ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.