Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Totaly New

Status
Not open for further replies.

col555

i have never grown Tobacco before, i smoke light or "Gold" as its called these days, i live in northern california, close to Nappa and have a few questions.

1, which seed/seeds should i try first? I have about a 20ft x 15ft plot i could use.

2, is there anywhere on this site that will tell me in detail how to plant and take care of the seeds/plants?

2 question with a lot of possible answers im guessing lol, i just need to be steered in the right direction,

Daniel

Banned
welcome to the group.
Since you have some time before you can actually plant any tobacco. I suggest you start from the beginning and work your way through the process. The first issue would be seed selection. I am far from the best source for that information but don't think I was steared wrong being told to grow Yellow Twist Bud for cigarettes. You can keep it on the mild side by prime harvesting (picking each leaf is it ripens).

once you have chosen the seeds you can actually practice getting them started. starting seed and growing them indoors is one of the most difficult things I found in growing tobacco at all. providing adequate light and such can take a little time and effort. I like to use finely sifted potting soil to start seed in. sprinkle the seed on the surface of the soil and do not try to cover it up. keep it wet and covered. warmth is also important in the first few days. Some say that exposure to sun light increases the germination of the seed. I do not know as I have not tried it. I do know from my practice that I want the seed to sprout in no more than 5 days.

Once the seed has sprouted you want to uncover it and let he soil become damp but not wet. In a week or so you will be past the period that tobacco seems to be the most delicate. after that it is actually pretty easy to grow. I have noticed that it will simply not grow if it is to wet or to dry but does not die easily. For me the hard part has been to keep the soil just right in order to keep the plant growing. You can keep the plants going for as long as you choose, then dispose of them when needed. This will allow you to have had first hand experience for at least this part of the growing process.

You will also want to do some homework on
soil types and amendments
moisture control
recognize the indications of to much food, not enough food, to much water and not enough water (I use a moisture meter actually) as well as the pests that afflict tobacco. mainly aphids and hornworms. Be prepared to treat for them as needed.

The growing is actually easy. the harvesting, curing and aging are another issue that there are many choices to be made. You have quite a bit of time to look for that information though.

Chrism

8d431c71.jpg

Built this earlier this year. I went to cheaper bulbs. Started all my vegies and bacco in it. When it was cold in the shop I had polyethelene sheeting covering it with a small heater/fan going on inside. Worked great and no mold issues.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
do a lot of pest control research,,,,, why grow something to feed the hornworms,?????

i learned my first year about inscects,,, if you read and pay attention,, to opinions,,, you'll do good in your first year,,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.