Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubert

Hi,

Some of the tobacco I have grown this year has frogeye leafspot which I understand is a fungal disease.

The question is - can I still smoke the tobacco or do I have to bin it?

Cheers guys.

Ubert.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
it wont hurt nothing,

a lot of strains develop it, and some strains will not,

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
As a rough guide, only black mold (Aspergillus niger) poses a health problem on tobacco, and only if you don't burn that tobacco. That is, leaf with any black mold should never be used for snuff, snus, chew or cigar wrapper. Otherwise, even leaf with black mold can be safely smoked. Most fungal problems are esthetic, cosmetic or just plain destructive to the leaf, but not a health issue.

Bob

workhorse_01

Toxic black mold or black mold is a name commonly used for Stachybotrys chartarum. It is one of the most infamous toxic molds because it can grow in houses and is extremely dangerous to humans. I think I would throw away the leaf in question and choose a different leaf. That is my personal opinion and I've been wrong before, but I tend to err on the side of caution.
As a rough guide, only black mold (Aspergillus niger) poses a health problem on tobacco, and only if you don't burn that tobacco. That is, leaf with any black mold should never be used for snuff, snus, chew or cigar wrapper. Otherwise, even leaf with black mold can be safely smoked. Most fungal problems are esthetic, cosmetic or just plain destructive to the leaf, but not a health issue.

Bob

Fisherman

WOW! That mold could have been the leprosy in the Bible!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stachybotrys_chartarum

Medical and veterinary issues

Health problems related to this mold have been documented in humans and animals since the 1930s;[SUP][3][/SUP] it is also considered a likely candidate for the Biblical condition mistranslated as "leprosy", tzaraath.[SUP][4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzaraath

[/SUP]Hebrew Bible

The Torah identifies three manifestations of tzaraath: as an affliction of human skin, (Leviticus 13:2) of garments (Leviticus 13:47) and of houses (Leviticus 14:34). The Torah also speaks of tzaraath on two other occasions, one in reference to Moses and the other in reference to his sister, Miriam. In Exodus 4:6-7, when Moses is standing before the burning bush, he doubts that the sages[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] who lead Israel will believe that he is the messenger of God. God provides him with two signs to prove his mission: turning his rod into a snake and then back into a rod and turning his hand into being stricken with tzaraath and then back again. Moses revealed these wonders to the sages in Exodus 4:30. In Numbers 12:10, Miriam was stricken with tzaraath for her involvement in slandering Moses. Aaron asks Moses to cure her via extraordinary means, because he claims that he, as her own brother, cannot examine, confine or purify her. Moses prays for his sister and she is cured of the tzaraath but must remain in confinement for seven days. The Torah, however, does not indicate that she went through any purification process similar to what is normally required, as elaborated on below.

Food for thought :)

Also noted on the Asperilis Niger Wiki page..............:

[h=3]Human and animal disease[/h] A. niger is less likely to cause human disease than some other Aspergillus species, but, if large amounts of spores are inhaled, A. niger can be deadly. This is due to a serious lung disease, aspergillosis, that can occur. Aspergillosis is, in particular, frequent among horticultural workers that inhale peat dust, which can be rich in Aspergillus spores. It has been found in the mummies of ancient Egyptian tombs and can be inhaled when they are disturbed.[SUP][7]

AND:

[/SUP]
[h=2]Industrial uses[/h] A. niger is cultured for the industrial production of many substances. Various strains of A. niger are used in the industrial preparation of citric acid (E330) and gluconic acid (E574) and have been assessed as acceptable for daily intake by the World Health Organisation. A. niger fermentation is "generally recognized as safe" (GRAS) by the United States Food and Drug Administration under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.[SUP][8][/SUP]
Many useful enzymes are produced using industrial fermentation of A. niger. For example, A. niger glucoamylase is used in the production of high fructose corn syrup, and pectinases are used in cider and wine clarification. Alpha-galactosidase, an enzyme that breaks down certain complex sugars, is a component of Beano and other products that decrease flatulence. Another use for A. niger within the biotechnology industry is in the production of magnetic isotope-containing variants of biological macromolecules for NMR analysis.

SCIENCE IS WILD :)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
[excerpts from a post I made on HTGT several years ago:]

Mold and Tobacco
SUMMARY:
  1. Moldy tobacco may taste bad, and be unsmokable for that reason.
  2. The greatest risk from moldy tobacco is allergy-like symptoms, cough and wheeze in otherwise healthy individuals.
  3. Identifying the variety of mold is difficult and not useful in this context.
  4. Processing and storing tobacco at a relative humidity below 80% will minimize mold growth.
  5. Tobacco that retains dirt from the field, may disperse microbial toxins in the smoke.
  6. Aflatoxins in moldy tobacco may be a serious health risk if you chew the tobacco.
  7. Aflatoxins in moldy tobacco are not significantly transfered to the smoke (less than 1/10th of a percent).

I will begin by pointing out that most of the Web pages discussing mold are trying to sell some product or service. Many others are written by interest groups with specific agendas. Most research articles on unpleasant constituents to be found in tobacco are funded specifically by anti-tobacco groups or programs. The biggest problem with moldy tobacco seems to be that it spoils the taste of your carefully nurtured, lovingly cured and eagerly anticipated leaf. For very early signs of mold on cured tobacco, I have successfully resolved it with a light misting of 50/50 vinegar/water, followed immediately by thorough drying. This has had no noticeable effect on the taste. (Use distilled vinegar, not flavored, balsamic or apple cider vinegar.) Such tobacco must subsequently be stored at a somewhat lower relative humidity, say 60%, since we know it contains spores.

How Worried Should You Be?
The following quote from the CDC does a good job of setting your "worry meter" at a fairly low level.

Excerpts from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), http://www.cdc.gov/mold/stachy.htm:
the CDC said:
I heard about "toxic molds" that grow in homes and other buildings. Should I be concerned about a serious health risk to me and my family?
The term "toxic mold" is not accurate. While certain molds are toxigenic, meaning they can produce toxins (specifically mycotoxins), the molds themselves are not toxic, or poisonous. Hazards presented by molds that may produce mycotoxins should be considered the same as other common molds which can grow in your house. There is always a little mold everywhere - in the air and on many surfaces. There are very few reports that toxigenic molds found inside homes can cause unique or rare health conditions such as pulmonary hemorrhage or memory loss. These case reports are rare, and a causal link between the presence of the toxigenic mold and these conditions has not been proven.

In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition. The IOM also found limited or suggestive evidence linking indoor mold exposure and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children. In 2009, the World Health Organization issued additional guidance, the WHO Guidelines for Indoor Air Quality: Dampness and Mould [PDF, 2.52 MB].

A common-sense approach should be used for any mold contamination existing inside buildings and homes. The common health concerns from molds include hay fever-like allergic symptoms. Certain individuals with chronic respiratory disease (chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, asthma) may experience difficulty breathing. Individuals with immune suppression may be at increased risk for infection from molds. If you or your family members have these conditions, a qualified medical clinician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment. For the most part, one should take routine measures to prevent mold growth in the home.

How do molds get in the indoor environment and how do they grow?
Mold spores occur in the indoor and outdoor environments. Mold spores may enter your house from the outside through open doorways, windows, and heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems with outdoor air intakes. Spores in the air outside also attach themselves to people and animals, making clothing, shoes, bags, and pets convenient vehicles for carrying mold indoors.

When mold spores drop on places where there is excessive moisture, such as where leakage may have occurred in roofs, pipes, walls, plant pots, or where there has been flooding, they will grow. Many building materials provide suitable nutrients that encourage mold to grow. Wet cellulose materials, including paper and paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, wood, and wood products, are particularly conducive for the growth of some molds. Other materials such as dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation materials, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery, commonly support mold growth.

In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people....

...molds may cause health symptoms that are nonspecific.

Is "Dirty" Tobacco a Problem?
If your tobacco comes dirty from the field, then many of those microbes may remain and may produce various toxins that can appear in the smoke of that tobacco.
Excerpts from Tobacco Induced Diseases 2008, 4:4 (pdf)
Lennart Larsson said:
...our results demonstrate that the microbiological material that is present in tobacco smoke originates from microorganisms that colonize the tobacco plants in the fields.
The present study demonstrates that tobacco smoke contains bacterial components other than endotoxin as well as fungal components....
In conclusion, tobacco smoke is a bioaerosol that contains endotoxin, ...and various fungal constituents.

Aflatoxin in Tobacco Smoke?
For mold in foods, a great concern is a fungal toxin called aflatoxin, produced by several very common species of Aspergillus mold. It is a powerful carcinogen, and in high doses can cause acute liver failure and death. For this reason, moldy tobacco should never be chewed. Simply killing the mold, by whatever means, does not remove aflatoxin. If tobacco has shown mold growth at any stage from harvest to completion of processing, then you must assume that it contains aflatoxin.

Are these dangerous aflatoxins present in tobacco smoke? This was answered in a study at Virginia Commonwealth University in 2005, by Edinboro and Karnes in J Chromatogr A. 2005 Aug 12;1083(1-2):127-32.(abstract):
Edinboro said:
Previous studies have found that AFB1 [Aflatoxin] does not transfer to the mainstream smoke. AFB1 was not detected in unfortified cigarettes. A transfer experiment, fortifying cigarettes at 1 microg/cigarette determined that AFB1 was transferred only slightly from the burning cigarette to the sidestream smoke. The mean percent transfer was 0.087%.
So...moldy tobacco that you SMOKE is not likely to transfer meaningful quantities of aflatoxin.

Bob

Fisherman

I did the vinager thing you suggestd on some leaf I had and it worked great. What I had was more mildew than the mold I think also.

Boboro

I did the 1st. year But don't any more. I think it incoruges mildew, But I don't want to smoke bad stuff.

Southern Planter

I agree with deluxstogie, no one was sick from mold before there were insurance companies to defraud.

Neolithic and pre-industrial man used all sorts of useful products that are now considered toxic, such as lead, pine tar, raw milk, homemade cheese, and grandpa's watch.

Now each home is blessed with formaldehyde from fake wood products, vinyl chloride from everything, cadmium from everything. Ironically, the last listed is ten times more toxic than lead, yet found in thousands of more goodies than lead ever dreamed of. Stuff that is far worse than neolithic raw materials or natural bugs poison us every day.

Matty

I had white spots on 2-3 leaves on 1 plant. I cured and dried those leaves and the spots turned to tiny holes. Probably something different.

Matty

I got different spots. Workhorse said he sees em on his plants too sometimes. These are the spots that turned to holes no bigger than the spots themselves.

Attachments

• 20130824_174410.jpg
    20130824_174410.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 43

workhorse_01

Looks like wildfire to me. Only two of my YTB have it but it sure makes a mess of the bottom leaves if you let them mature. Bob said in another post, about something else take them early, and deal with a little immaturity or the brown spots will just fall out, leaving holes. Looking on fish's site it doesn't look at all like wildfire. more like weather flek. I cant remember the site I looked at. I am 65 miles from Jax. Fla. and they have a known pollution problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.