Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Flue Cure Electric Stove

Status
Not open for further replies.

FALaholic

Wanted to ask if people here have flue cured using an electric oven. I've always cooked with gas, so I do not know if an electric will go low enough to work.
With all the posts in the free section of CL; people giving away free working electric stoves, got me thinking if it has been done before or if it is possible.
If the stove cannot get to a temp low enough, on its lowest setting. Would the same thermostat that we use in our kilns resolve the matter?
If not, would the only way to incorporate an electric stove into flue curing be to gut the internals and place them into a custom flue curing box?

DGBAMA

I think there would notbe enough height to hang green leaf for flue curing. Might make a good kiln with the add of a water heater thermostat for lower temp control; since leaf does not have to hang.....piled, boxed, etc.

workhorse_01

I think bama is correct. The element will work but the control and the space would not. the shape of the oven element would have to be covered if using from the bottom, or would have to be put in a metal box and fans blown across if in the top. That's a chore with the shape of it. You could build a box and set the stove next to it then pipe from the oven to the box, but you'll still have to change the t-stat to a WH stat or something like a Ranco digital.

DGBAMA

I bet getting a hold of one of those glass door bread ovens like Subway uses would be almost perfect.

Rickey60

I bet getting a hold of one of those glass door bread ovens like Subway uses would be almost perfect.
DG your right. I never thought of it but I think it would be a perfect chamber with a few changes. It is a good size and is made to seal very good for the heat. Good viewing also, all you would need is RH.

workhorse_01

Just a pan of water with a humidifier pad.
DG your right. I never thought of it but I think it would be a perfect chamber with a few changes. It is a good size and is made to seal very good for the heat. Good viewing also, all you would need is RH.

DGBAMA

A friend of mine's "mistress" owns a bunch of Subways....maybe time to call in a favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.