Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Can some please tell me what the spotting on these leaves mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FALaholic

Dunno what to make of it. The spots are on only one of my Virginas. All my plants have been watered and fed the same. The spots are through and through, membrane thin, almost transparent.

FALaholic

From the pics that I found online. I would be inclined to say that it is TEV, unfortunately based on the pics online, I'm fully blown.
So now what, ditch the plant?

Brown Thumb

Did you spray them with something that burned the leaves like soap in the middle of the day,

Fisherman

BT doesnt burn but they do say dont spray more than 3 times in 2 weeks for the brand I used. I have burned plants with the Safer Insecticidal soap before. But I also didnt honor the rules they layed down either.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
BT doesnt burn but they do say dont spray more than 3 times in 2 weeks for the brand I used. I have burned plants with the Safer Insecticidal soap before. But I also didnt honor the rules they layed down either.

In this case, BT = Brown Thumb. :)

janetta007

From the pics that I found online. I would be inclined to say that it is TEV, unfortunately based on the pics online, I'm fully blown.
So now what, ditch the plant?

Kinda looks like TEV to me also.

Tobacco etch virus (TEV) was originally reported in Kentucky in 1928 by Valleau and
Johnson (10). TEV is presently found in North and South America (7), and is common
in Florida.

BarG

Founding Member
Dunno what to make of it. The spots are on only one of my Virginas. All my plants have been watered and fed the same. The spots are through and through, membrane thin, almost transparent.

That looks like xactly disease. its xactly the one I dont want. Pull the plants, roots and all.

FALaholic

I've checked and there are no flea beetles, although there are white flys.
I'm pretty certain it is rust; TEV.
My question is, if I got it from leave burrowing insects, how did they get it to begin with?

JessicaNicot

if you're not seeing it on new growth then it is NOT a virus. TEV (and all viruses) will cause symptoms in new growth primarily, but those look like fully expanded leaves to me so I suspect the cause is something else. I don't know what other varieties you're growing or the set-up you're using. for a pattern so uniform and Floridian "soil" being what it is, are you sure it couldn't be blowing sand damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.