Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Quick Stogies

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A tale of two stogies: a one-leaf stogie and a two leaf stogie. The time to make them is roughly 1 minute per leaf, including stemming.

Two-leaf Stogie: ~2 minutes

No special skills or secrets here. Using two whole leaves of Criollo 98 viso, I make a 6" x ~30 ring stogie. The concept of a stogie is a cheap, long, thin cigar.

Any variety will work. Since the cigar will be long and thin, you can use leaf that would otherwise be too strong to smoke straight. Or you can use something as smooth as butter. All that it requires is two leaves (one or two varieties) that are about the same length, with one half of one of the leaves fairly intact, for use as the wrapper. It does not need a separate binder, so long as the wrapper has enough width to span at least half the stogie's length.

Garden20130922_976_stogie_leafStrips_300.jpg

The strip on the left has been misted, and will be the wrapper.

The filler strips are in low case (somewhat flexible, but dry).

Garden20130922_977_stogie_fillerUncut_300.jpg

Each filler strip is individually compressed over its length, then the three strips are aligned at the head (right).

Garden20130922_978_stogie_fillerCut_300.jpg

Cut filler in half.

Garden20130922_979_stogie_fillerAssembled_300.jpg

Bring the two cut bunches together so that the thicker end of one matches the thinner end of the other.

I find that if I make a slight taper (wider at the foot to thinner at the head) and I am careful to not wrap the head too tightly, I usually get a good draw. Because of the venturi (nozzle) effect in a thin stogie, it can't be rolled as densely as a thicker cigar.

Garden20130922_981_stogie_singleWrapping_300.jpg

The wrapper must be tight enough to make a firm cigar, while allowing adequate draw.

Garden20130922_982_stogie_wrapped_300.jpg

Complete, with excess wrapper dangling from the head.

Garden20130922_983_stogie_6x32_300.jpg

Cut the foot. Cut the head. Stick in mouth. Ready to smoke.

This particular stogie is a bit over 6". The ring gauge tapers from ~34 and the foot to ~28 at the head. Beauty is not its forte.

One-leaf Stogie: ~1 minute

A one-leaf stogie takes less time than hand-rolling a cigarette. For this one, you need a medium to large leaf in which the lamina is fairly intact on the stalk end of one half of the leaf. Here, I use a single leaf of BigBonner's burley red tip.

Garden20130922_984_stogie_burleyStrips_300.jpg

I will use the top of the upper leaf strip as the wrapper.

Garden20130922_985_stogie_burleyCutWrapper_300.jpg

The wrapper segment is cut parallel to a vein.

Garden20130922_986_stogie_burley_componentsReady_300.jpg

The second strip is cut straight across, and the three filler pieces are crunched together.

Garden20130922_987_stogie_burley5x28_300.jpg

If the filler is too long at the head, it can be folded over inside the wrapper to make a firmer head, since the stogie will be cut at the head.
This stogie is about 5" x 28 ring.

These stogies are not intended to impress anyone with their appearance, though you can spend more time, and make them pretty. But they are quick to make, and smoke well. I don't use any glue, and don't bother to trim the wrapper margin, unless it is really ragged. They're also a simple way to sample the characteristics of a specific leaf variety. What is crucial is that they don't leak along the wrapper, and that they draw well.

Bob

DGBAMA

Nice post Bob. The two leaf is similar to what I have been doing. Should help a bunch of new rollers.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Whats the ring size on them big ole honker size cigars you roll?
Typical is 4 to 5 leaves of filler, plus binder and wrapper. They often come out about 6-7" long, and have a gradual taper (that's how I roll) from about 56 down to 45 ring.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Extreme Stogie

Garden20130927_989_stogieExtreme_wRuler_600.jpg

This extreme stogie is about as long as my skill allows me to roll such a thin cigar. It uses two untrimmed leaf strips of Ecuador Maduro for binder and wrapper. The filler is two complete leaves of Guácharo lug that have been hanging for about 3 months--not kilned.

There are several challenges to rolling such a long and thin cigar.
  • the filler offers no support for maintaining a straight cigar while rolling
  • the length approaches the limit of my finger span--difficult to keep the binder/wrapper stretched while compressing the filler
  • very little stretching force can be applied to the binder or wrapper, due to the need to avoid over-compressing the thin filler bulk
  • neither binder nor wrapper are trimmed--the stogie will need all the support

Garden20130927_988_stogieExtreme_inHand_500.jpg

The Guácharo (from Venezuela) is smooth, mild and slightly peppery. It burns well, forming a light gray ash. I managed to get a nice, firm head that still provided an easy draw. I'll be looking forward to tasting the Guácharo again, once it has been kilned.

Bob

Fisherman

Mr Deluxe,

If I rolled one of these with only ciggerette variety leaf, would the resulting cigar/cheroot be to much to smoke or a suitable replacement for a paper rolled ciggerette ?

My point is that one day the 3$ a box for tubes mite be a problem to come up with :(

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Fisherman,
I believe the only issue is the quantity of tobacco. While it's possible to roll a cigarette-size cigar, they usually end up longer and/or thicker than the average cigarette. And you may miss the taste of combusting paper.

Bob

Matty

I've rolled quite a few cigars under 28 ring with much success. The filler leaf is cut into 4 strips (instead of the usual 2 halves) and then I employ the entubar bunching technique. This way I have managed to roll them firm with a good draw and they don't get mushy.

Attachments

• 1380578846247.jpg
    1380578846247.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 155

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Those are nice, Matty.

This evening I rolled a 2-leaf stogie of BigBonner burley red tips, with a single Latakia stem running the length. While I didn't notice a Latakia taste or aroma, it did impart a mild smokiness to it. Those Latakia stems are just too fragrant to throw away.

Bob

Matty

When I roll a lunch cigar at work i do the "quick stogie" technique. They smoke great. Only problem is I only get a half hour so a normal cigar is out of the question lol.

Jvergen

I know this is a old post but the idea of a 1 and 2 leaf stogies from a tasting and a quick smoke point is great. Made a 2 leaf in 5 min and outside smoking it now. Bob your a wealth of knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.