Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Natural Based Soil and Plant Supplement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Working on a product to sell this coming grow season. A fully natural based (un-certified organic, but organic practices) fertilizer designed for tobacco growing.

A little insight on it:

I see a lot of different fertilizers and supplements that are made for certain plants, such as tomatos, marijuana, lettuce, the list goes on..., I also am aware of some fertilizers for tobacco but tend to be strong, salt based fertilizers that force you to put pounds or gallons of chemicals into your soil.

The awakening of the idea to make a supplement for us home growers of tobacco came when I read that higher salt content in tobacco reduces the favorable burn characteristics.

I've put about 40 hours of research and another 10 hours in lab testing and I think I'm about 80% done on the final project.

Right now I have a high concentration liquid supplement and am working on a dry-pulp medium for a dry supplement.

A few aspects of the product thus far:
-completely plant based
-completely renewable
-no worries of chemical run off
-no GMOs, artificial preservatives, artificial coloring or hormones
-completely edible (though it won't taste the best)
-When wet product is diluted, PH is just slightly more acidic than water.
-if diluted enough can be foliar applied

I'll update all of you when I come out with a dry product. As it sits right now, I would feel safe using this on my own tobacco.

Boboro

Did you use it on your plants this year? How well did it grow your tobacco? Does it effect the taste or burn of tobacco.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I did not use it on my plants this year as I literally had just got the samples done before I made this thread. I am going to do some tests on a few different plants in the next few weeks. My hypothesis on the effects on tobacco is this: It shouldn't effect taste or burning characteristics negatively. Any tastes/burning characteristics should be positive as there is no salt-based chemicals in it.

It has a high amount of N and P and a medium amount of K. PH before dilution is 4.75 (helps reduce likely hood of molding/fermenting, since the supplement is plant based). When diluted it will be slightly acidic but nothing your soil would struggle with buffering.

One of the key aspects in my experience (with corn, oats, tobacco) is hitting the product strong off the bat with fertilizer once the plants have taken root, but try not to fertilize later in the season, as you know tobacco holds onto nitrogen in the form of ammonia, if the plant can release this throughout the season before curing, in theory it should dry better.

Before I release this product for sale I DO need to do some testing on actual live plants, I don't want the liability of a blind market test haha.

bonehead

i have used some nutrients, beneficial fungi and micro organisms in some of my hydroponic grows that you had to adjust the ph up or down before use. they were packaged that way on purpose to help stablize them or keep them alive(longer shelf life). this subject is real intresting and the more you learn about it the more you realize how much you take plant growth and soil for granted.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I finally got the parts in today to finish the culturing system. I'm set up now to make literally gallons of this stuff at a time. It will be filtered to 177 microns to clear out any sediment for you folks that want to use it in a sprayer system.

I will be doing the live plant study soon and will let you all know how it goes. If anyone becomes interested, I will be taking preseason orders with the 10% ftt member discount and an additional 6% off the first 5 bottles sold.

squeezyjohn

I don't want to be a downer on this thread - as the idea sounds good and well intentioned. And I also recognise from over a year talking here the differences in approaches to gardening/cultivation between the US where you like a more scientific approach and the UK where we seem to take things pretty holistically with regards to plant feeding.

But do you really think you should be considering selling a product specifically for the fertilizing of tobacco plants when you, yourself haven't tested it on tobacco plants over one growing season?

That would be the first consideration if I was looking to sell something like this as a business venture - or even if it was just an interesting sideline.

I mean anyone can make a good growing food for most plants by simply allowing the leaves of comfrey and stinging nettles to rot in standing water - creating excellent growth spurts in most plants.

Just think of the consequences of something marketed for specific tobacco use that was untested on tobacco going wrong. Think what the consequences of any unforeseen adverse effects would be on both the precious grow of the person buying it and the reputation of your company selling it. In my humble opinion just selling it untested is foolhardy. Surely it's the sort of thing worth waiting another growing season before going live with it and testing it out on your own grow.

Sincerely,

Squeezy

squeezyjohn

Ignore me! Your last message came in when my message was lazily compiled Michibaccy!

If you are doing proper testing then my entire previous message is pointless!

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I appreciate the concern Squeezy. I wouldn't do a blind test on a product and expect anyone to buy it...., sure that'd be nice but against my business ethics Haha. Anyone interested in some pictures on the culturing system?

squeezyjohn

Yeah - sorry again ... it just looked a bit scary before you posted that explanation and I jumped the gun.

Is there a way to delete my post or would that make it even more complicated?

Cheers

Squeezy

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Still deciding on bottle size, the current formula would need to be diluted 1 part solution to 4 parts water. I'm researching the legal side of it, I *may* need to register the product with the MIDA, it isn't too expensive but might take some time. I would rather not have to so I'm researching other avenues. As for treatment area, about 2 ounces diluted solution per plant. I can always adjust concentration to increase plant per bottle capacity

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
once a month for 2 months. The dry formula we are working on should be a once a season application if all goes according to plan.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Due to legal issues

Due to legal issues, the name is now being changed to Plant Growth Enhancer.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Alright, want your guys' input. To help sell the product, I understand a lot of people want "as eco friendly as possible" since after all that is what I'm striving for. For just under 20 cents more I can package this solution in biodegradable bottles. Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.