Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Oh that SWEET Smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Fix the leaks. They cause the Crockpot to remain heating more of the time, which is driving out your moisture. It may be that starting with 12 oz of water in the Crockpot would overcome that, but it sounds like an uncontrollable vent.

Bob

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Go to an Auto body supply, and get the stick on weather seal. That should close the crack and keep the moisture in without venting it out. You can even put a 2x4 in the side of the door, and twist it in a warp. Test it to see if it seals after. Push the part not sealing in and the side sealing out. Sounds like the door is warped, if all of the seal is in tact. Mad-

Bex

I guess my problem is that I didn't understand the size of the 'clothespin vent'. Like I said on the cozy can thread, I only did this with 14 leaves, and in a fairly nice size chest freezer. I think that venting the door - which of course, if raised slightly, will vent the whole perimeter of the door - was part of the problem, as well as the fact that the freezer wasn't full of leaves. I bought a hygrometer, which will help indicate the actual humidity during the process. I have now closed the top, misted the leaves manually, and have the temp still at 95F. I am following in the footsteps of giants (ie, the first 'failure' of the can cozy), but this was my first effort, and to expect immediate success was a bit unrealistic. I will have to 'study' to see the amount of RH needed at the various phases of this method - as well as determine exactly how small the vent can be to contain the moisture but still allow for convection. If nothing else, I am now making my own cigar wrappers.....

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Remember, You have to have a fan inside!
Actually, you don't. Even if the container is completely closed, convection will drive the warm air to the top, drawing the cooler air to the bottom.

Perhaps for a chest freezer door, just sticking a segment or two of 1/8" nylon rope in the way will provide enough venting.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.