Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Is the federal shut down effecting you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I know politics is a no-no here, so I just want your personal experiences with it. Is the federal government shutting down effecting you personally?

It is me, my main job has quite a few customers that are FDA/USDA supported, or themselves, with the shut down now in effect for 2 days or so, we have "lost" quite a few customers.

Also, my Landlord works for the USDA, and got sent home until this situation is over.

Your experiences are welcome, feel free to share.

Southern Planter

The black helicopter that flies around my house and farm looking for Mary Jane has not showed up.

I'm off the the veterans hospital today, if they sent me away I'll report back.

skychaser

leverhead

The ars-grin site is shut down. "Due to the lapse in federal government funding, this website is not available."
Other than that, not one bit. I look at the bright side.

91% Of The IRS Has Been Furloughed: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-...ed-here-who-else-got-government-shut-down-axe

"US GOVT SHUTDOWN HAS HIT NSA 'VERY HARD": http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-10-02/government-shutdown-silver-lining-good-personal-privacy

They got two out of three right.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
"Only non-essentials have been furloughed"

If their employment is not essential to the operation of the federal government, what do we need them for?

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Don, as self appointed temporary administrator I will let you stay unbanned, and resume position as admin immediately.

Not saying "unessential" cutbacks aren't necessary, but they do effect us civilians that have taken the Red Pill of gov. work.

JessicaNicot

the usda wheat genotyping lab is housed at ncsu in a lab on my floor. on Monday they came in to shut down all of their equipment, turn out the lights and lock the doors. ive not seen anyone there since.

the sequester alone caused the loss of my brothers military contractor position (not his job technically but there is no work if there is no contract). hes been working construction with my mom while he waits for another contract to happen (which wont happen if the government remains shut down).

I was at the grocery store buying milk last night and I saw the WIC sign by the milk. I guess they should take them down because there is no WIC while the government is down.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I work at SANDIA and LOS-ALAMOS labs at times here in NM. I am an electrician, I was to work at LOS-ALAMOS next week but no word yet. I lost a 10,000 dollar contract due to it and a 22,000 dollar contract on hold. Every one will feel it soonsims wplants scots phone 027.jpgsims wplants scots phone 040.jpgsims wplants scots phone 174.jpgsims wplants scots phone 180.jpg
The black helo-chopter found the pot here, guess he was board LOL

webmost

"Only non-essentials have been furloughed"

If their employment is not essential to the operation of the federal government, what do we need them for?

This is the most sensible remark I have heard on this topic yet.

By the way -- putting up a web page saying site shut down saves exactly zero dollars and no sense. Anyone with a web site can attest to that. In fact, you have to pay someone to put that page up, so it costs bucks. This is grand standing on a very petty scale.

JessicaNicot

By the way -- putting up a web page saying site shut down saves exactly zero dollars and no sense. Anyone with a web site can attest to that. In fact, you have to pay someone to put that page up, so it costs bucks. This is grand standing on a very petty scale.

it doesn't matter if it costs more money to put it back up. no funds for support/operation means it has to come down (eg there's no money to pay the power bills for the servers/etc, so they scale back to the minimum needed to host those single pages). it takes time to put up barricades to keep people out of places and time to take them down but theyre up for public safety reasons. its not grandstanding. its the reality of a government shutdown. almost everything the government does, stops (including annually appropriated funds for computer infrastructure and websites) and everything they own, shuttered (unless youre the oil/gas companies raping the lands of our national parks. THEY get to stay)- and the things that are still going are run by people working for free (except congress, but all of their staffers are working gratis).

my friend is a grad student for a usda adjunct professor. he didn't stop being a student just because the government shutdown, but his whole building is on lockdown. he's been using a spare computer in our office to work, but all of his genetic work is on hold.

I also read an article today that the blue ridge parkway is technically open to drive on, but all associated trails, visitor centers, campgrounds are closed. so much for peak fall foliage tourism season (a big part of these rural regions' economies). ironically, its the congressman from that district in nc who is one of the chief architects of the shutdown who has knee capped his own local economy (moron).

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
This subject is becoming too politicized and from my experience in dealing with prohibited topics, the topic will continue to digress.

If you want to talk politics, please start a group and invite those who might share your opinions. If you join a group and don't like the tone of the conversation, you are free to stop participating in that group.

Status
Not open for further replies.