Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Anybody Else tie Hands for long term storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

I went from hanging to shredding last year with mixed results.
Lost some due to mould.
I just sorted Bigbonners flue cured bright leaf that came out of the kiln and tied it in hands.
three hands 200 leaf took about 10 min. Fist time I ever tied a hand
Just wondering if anyone else does it this way for storing.
BT

image.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Your hands look good.

Whenever I have a string of leaf that has fully dried, I tie it into a hand. It's easier to store and to move around as a hand. If it's going into closed storage, I usually put the hand into a vapor-proof bag, then leave the bag open until the leaf is dried to low case--the tying leaf needs to be in medium to high case to be applied without cracking, and will mold if not dried afterwards. At that point, I compress all the air out of the bag, fold the opening several times, and close it with a tabbed strip of shipping tape. These bags then go into a Tote box in a back room.

My Cozy Can is able to accommodate tied hands of most varieties for kilning.

Bob

DonH

I just tied about 20 hands this morning. It also helps in separating and identifying different varieties.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I tie all my tobacco in to hands. I stalk cure my tobacco and when I strip a stalk I tie all the leaves from that stalk into 1 hand. This way I have a nice mix of lugs, mids and uppers and don't have to worry about left over strong (upper) leaf. I use my leaf for pipe and the wife's ciggies.

DGBAMA

Those look good.

I hand mine also. Each hanging stick from the chamber is made into two hands. Generally 27 leaves each. I use simple Jute cord to tie and leave enough extra cord to tie a loop for hanging. A piece of foil tape on the hanging loop is used for labeling. My labels are simple....."SR 2P" would be Silver River 2nd Priming.

Attachments

• IMG_20131005_110724_210.jpg
    IMG_20131005_110724_210.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 40

leverhead

I tied a few hands last year and wished that I had done more. This year, everything is going into hands. I use cotton string instead of a leaf, I find it easier.

Rickey60

Lost some due to mould.
I just sorted Bigbonners flue cured bright leaf that came out of the kiln and tied it in hands.
three hands 200 leaf took about 10 min. Fist time I ever tied a hand
Just wondering if anyone else does it this way for storing.
BT

Do you find that BB's flue cured bright leaf needs to be klined before smoking? I have been smoking it as soon as I get it from him. Should I get enough to put some in the Klin and age before I smoke. What is your thoughts?

Brown Thumb

UOTE=Rickey60;56892]
Lost some due to mould.

Do you find that BB's flue cured bright leaf needs to be klined before smoking? I have been smoking it as soon as I get it from him. Should I get enough to put some in the Klin and age before I smoke. What is your thoughts?[/QUOTE
These were seedlings I got from BigBonner, not leaf. Sorry to confuse you.
BT

Brown Thumb

Thanx, Guys for the input.
Hands it is going to be. I got about 1500 leaf done in no time but sorting out the Perfect, 25%, 50%, and totally brown leaf that came out of the chamber is another PITA.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
With a dried hand, just mist the wrapping leaf and put the entire hand into a large plastic bag for a few hours, or overnight. Once the wrapping leaf is in case, it can easily be unwound. Since it is held (traditionally) in place by tucking the stem end tightly between the leaves of the hand, start by locating that stem and slipping it out. Then you just unwind it. I've actually found some that make perfect cigar wrapper.

Bob

DGBAMA

With a dried hand, just mist the wrapping leaf and put the entire hand into a large plastic bag for a few hours, or overnight. Once the wrapping leaf is in case, it can easily be unwound. Since it is held (traditionally) in place by tucking the stem end tightly between the leaves of the hand, start by locating that stem and slipping it out. Then you just unwind it. I've actually found some that make perfect cigar wrapper.

Bob

I never would have thought that.

skychaser

After tying many hundreds of hands, I got lazy and bought myself a big fat bag of large rubber bands at at Big Lots. They work good. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.