Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The new insureance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boboro

I know we cant talk politics, and please don't but I think we shoud Talk about how the new law is infeken us.

rose

I agree. I didn't think it was a political discussion. I am aghast at what you all are going thru. I honestly had no idea. We fall into the gray area here (and make sure we stay there), not covered, not eligible for coverage and frankly don't want cover bc we don't go to doctors. When we get sick, burned, snake bite, crack or break bones we take care of it ourselves/there are ways to deal with things based on old country wisdom's (that I have learned here, and this coming from a city gal). One of the first things an ole timer told me when I moved here was if you git snake bit don't go to dem hospitals/they'll just make you sicker. I remembered that when I got my first bite and while my neighbor was hysterically carrying on the hospital, the hospital, I said it's been over a half hour and not dead yet so it's not gonna kill me. It's better to let it come out all the openings than to stop it from coming out with drugs. Poultice of plantain leaves and charcoal and I healed up in record time. I was glad I keep a stash of pain pills for what I call the thousand needle rush when it hits which is about 45 min after the bite. It was just a copperhead but I know a woman (another transplant) that took care of a water moccasin bite, took her longer, but she did (herbs etc). Hell, when I'm eligible for Medicare next year I won't use it, don't want it. Why should I have something forced on me that I'll never use? If I got something terminal I'd eat, drink, smoke and be merry and figure a way out when the time came.

So I'm just heartsick over how this is effecting you guys. Few of my friends have told their stories/bar none premiums going way up but nothing like I've heard today. I keep scanning exemptions hoping to find some loophole. This is JUST NOT RIGHT.

If I get another friendly reminder I'm okay with that bc I just want to thank you Boboro for giving me a chance to say how very very sorry I am. There are religious exemptions/maybe folks should start one just for this purpose :( I have friends whose hours have been cut...it's just horrifying. Keeping the farm in jeopardy...it's just not right.

Ha, had to edit post/Medicare not Medicaid/don't even know what the damn things are called :eek:

rose

I had outpatient surgery 20 years ago, paid cash up front. Got signed 'paid in full' before the scalpel was even raised. Good thing too bc with the exception of my surgeon who was absolutely wonderful, all else tried to double bill including anesthesiologist, and hosp not only tried to double bill but charge for things never done. And we wonder why medical cost are so high?

DGBAMA

Congresses and house have written in an exemption for themselves to not have to participate. They are forcing something on the general public that they think is not good for themselves.

FALaholic

See there is one thing that I would like to address, that I can't seem to wrap my head around. If our medical records are protected by HIPPA, why are we inclined to state who our medical insurers are? Some say that it is treated like auto insurance, like how we have to show proof, but proving insurance doesn't open up the possibility of disclosing our medical records.

...perhaps that is why the IRS is handling the new insurance.

rose

Privacy is a huge concern and I'm seeing it discussed all over the place. As I read it (and I just read) doctors are being instructed to ask very personal questions/and some are taking retirement as a result. I personally would be offended at some of the questions now being asked/and would refuse to answer on the grounds none of your damn business.

~

The federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) sets a national standard for privacy of health information. It was implemented in 2003. But HIPAA only applies to medical records maintained by health care providers, health plans, and health clearinghouses - and only if the facility conducts certain transactions electronically. A great deal of health-related information exists outside of health care facilities and the files of health plans, and thus beyond the reach of HIPAA. (PRC Fact Sheet 8a: HIPAA Basics)
The HHS "Omnibus Rule," issued on January 25, 2013, makes substantial modifications to the HIPAA privacy, security, and data breach rules, as required by the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH) of 2009.
The extent of privacy protection given to your medical information often depends on where the records are located and the purpose for which the information was compiled. The laws that cover privacy of medical information vary by situation. And, confidentiality is likely to be lost in return for insurance coverage, an employment opportunity, your application for a government benefit, or an investigation of health and safety at your work site.
In short, you may have a false sense of security. That’s because medical information that is collected outside a HIPAA environment may not afford you HIPAA’s basic privacy rights to (1) access your medical records (2) request an amendment to your records and (3) request an accounting of disclosures.This guide provides information on medical records not covered by the HIPAA Privacy Rule.

3. What medical information is not covered by HIPAA?Medical information that is not covered by the federal privacy rule might be found in your financial records, your child's school records, and/or your employment files.Financial records. The federal Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLB) allows financial companies such as banks, brokerage houses, and insurance companies to operate as a single entity. GLB gives you the right to be notified about the information-sharing practices of financial institutions. And you must be given an opportunity to opt-out of third-party information sharing. But GLB does not keep information from being shared among affiliated companies.
Your credit card account and checking transactions are likely to include information about where you go for health care. Insurance applications and medical claims also contain health-related information. So it is possible for such medical information to be shared among affiliates of financial institutions. Such information is not protected by HIPAA.
Some financial companies promise extra protection for medical information. And insurance companies may be prohibited from giving information to an affiliated bank by state insurance laws. It pays to examine the privacy notices of financial institutions carefully. (Read PRC Fact Sheet 24: Protecting Financial Privacy.)

4. Who has access to your medical records?Your medical information is shared by a wide range of people both in and out of the health care industry. Generally, access to your records is obtained when you agree to let others see them. In reality, you may have no choice but to agree to the sharing of your health information if you want to obtain care and qualify for insurance.A. Insurance companies usually require you to release your records before they will issue a policy or make payment under an existing policy. This is especially true if you apply for individual health insurance as opposed to a group health plan available through your employer.Insurance companies are considered financial institutions under the federal GLB law. Like banks and brokerage houses, they must provide you a notice of how they gather and use your customer information. You may have the right to opt-out of sharing some information with other companies.To learn more about the insurance privacy laws in your state, visit your state's Department of Insurance website. Find your state's Department of Insurance by visiting the National Association of Insurance Commissioners website. Medical information gathered by an insurance company may also be shared with others through the Medical Information Bureau (see below).

5. How can I protect the privacy of my medical records?The federal law on medical privacy, HIPAA, went into effect in 2003. For the first time, federal law established standards for patient privacy in all 50 states, including the right of patients to access to their own records. The stronger laws already in effect in the states were not weakened. Although HIPAA provides some protection, it is not the final answer to medical records privacy. Here are some strategies to limit others' access to your medical records:A. Discuss your confidentiality concerns with your doctor. If you want a specific condition to be held in confidence by your personal physician, bring a written request to the appointment that revokes your consent to release medical information to the insurance company and/or to your employer for that visit. You must also pay for the visit yourself rather than obtain reimbursement from the insurance company.To be especially certain of confidentiality, you may need to see a different physician altogether and pay the bill yourself, forgoing reimbursement from the insurance company. Realize that under HIPAA, your attempts to restrict the sharing of specific records can be denied by the health care provider.B. Ask your health care provider to use caution when photocopying portions of your medical records for others. Sometimes more of your medical records are copied than is necessary, for example, when requested by the insurance company or another health care provider.C. Find out if your health care provider has a policy on the use of cordless and cellular phones and fax machines when discussing and transmitting medical information. Wireless telephones are not as private as standard "wireline" telephones. Because they transmit by radio wave, phone conversations can be overheard on various electronic devices. Digital systems are more secure. (See PRC Fact Sheet 2: Wireless Communications)Fax machines offer far less privacy than the mail. Frequently many people in an office have access to fax transmissions. Staff members at all levels of the organization should take precautions to preserve confidentiality when sending and receiving medical documents by fax machine. (See PRC Fact Sheet 12: Checklist of Responsible Information Handling Practices)Your medical information is not confined to health care institutions. Here are some additional situations where you must be careful to protect your privacy.

https://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs8-med.htm

skychaser

Starve the Beast. Do not comply.

I keep scanning exemptions hoping to find some loophole. This is JUST NOT RIGHT.

See there is one thing that I would like to address, that I can't seem to wrap my head around. If our medical records are protected by HIPPA, why are we inclined to state who our medical insurers are? Some say that it is treated like auto insurance, like how we have to show proof, but proving insurance doesn't open up the possibility of disclosing our medical records.

...perhaps that is why the IRS is handling the new insurance.

Here's your loophole. Just adjust your with holdings so you owe nothing or a small sum. All they can do is take it out of your refund if you have one. And they haven't figured out how they will verify compliance.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100711119

"What the IRS can actually enforce also seems a difficult question.

The law severely limits the agency's ability to collect penalties. It can ask for the money, but there are no civil or criminal penalties for refusing to pay it. The IRS cannot seize bank accounts or dock wages to collect it. No interest accumulates for unpaid penalties.The law allows the IRS to withhold tax refunds to collect the penalty but only if someone overpaid taxes.

And the IRS is still working on procedures for taxpayers to prove they have insurance."

rose

Oh Skychaser...thanks so much for this. Just posted it to my health forum and sending out to friends far and wide. What I'm seeing today, also reading the govt facebook page, is people are going into sticker shock. I just had no idea it was this much of a mess :( I look at the deductibles and head spins. When I was growing up we had one insurance rep for everything and when mom had to file a claim he made sure, even if he had to take on the company, it was always paid. He was like an extended member of the family. We shared dinners and I played with his 8 kids. Doctors, dentist and vets were affordable. Hospital cost were reasonable. I bailed the system when things started changing and never looked back. I do carry liability on my vehicle.

I so hope that people find a way out of this mess and regain their independence. Runaway cost need to be addressed/not taxing an overtaxed exhausted population.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Has anyone yet read the bill?

What bill? Oh, you mean the one that congress passed without reading themselves?... Nope, I don't have 15 years of reading to try to understand what the hell they're trying to do.

I'll pay the "penalty" for a couple of years, then move to Belize and start my own country :)

Boboro

Our state did not expand Medaciade And I fall in that gap. That's why mines so high If I made a few 1000 more would be 75 a mounth. I try to beat the system by being a slacker but it looks like that may have come back to bite me. It seams this law is very fluid .I hope they figger out how to make the exchange web site work. If it was ever intened to.

Status
Not open for further replies.