Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Casing recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty

Casing receipts

Here's one I found in a do-it-yourself book from the 70's describing different formulas from the 19th century."Tobacco, to flavour - This is done by means a mixture of 1 part each of lemon peel, orange peel, figs, coriander seed and sassafrass. 1/2 part each of elder flowers, elder berries and cinnamon. 2 parts saltpeter, 3 parts salt, and 4 parts sugar. This mixture must be digested in 50 parts water and before applying it flavored with an alcoholic solution of gum benzoin, mastic and myrrh. This decoction gives a flavor to common leaves resembling Porto Rico but to this end the leaves must be well dried, about 1 year old and well permeated with the preperation. Keep in a pile for 8 days turning daily and finally dry."I don't know anything about this recipe but it is word for word from the book I have.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Casing receipts

Welcome to the forum.

Interesting recipe. With those old recipes, it's a good idea to check each of the ingredients with a Google search for toxicity (e.g. toxicity benzoin). They didn't give much consideration to such things in the 19th century.

Bob

Matty

Casing receipts

A valid point considering the same book has recipes for such things as mercurial soap and chloride of gold lozenges. Gum benzoin is a tree resin used in some incense, if I remember correctly, mastic however I know nothing about. Thought some people would find it interesting even if it's not a good recipe. Thanks for the welcome

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Casing receipts

Saltpeter plus sugar is a flash powder too, odd addition

Matty

Casing receipts

could be for chewing tobacco, I dunno. The fruits part of it sounds nice though, I might try just the citrus, figs, berries and spices in a mix someday.

driftinmark

Re: Casing receipts

I tried casing some burley yesterday with seedmans chocolate extract......sprayed it on and toasted it at 275 deg for a few mins, just until before it started smoking, lol...then re hydrated it and toasted it again......came out ok, so I started searching for casing how tos and recipes ......

not have to go out and find some licorice and anise.......Ill report if I can find some commercially...

just found this article......

good stuff..

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/a-tale-of-two-syrups-casings-and-top-dressings/

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member

Great link, thanks for posting.

As far as the licorice and anise extracts...I think you can use one or the other. They are reasonably similar in flavor. Both should be available in the spice section of your grocery store. If they aren't there, try the baking section. Both should also be alcohol based which can easily be added to water. Oil based extracts would have to be diluted with alcohol.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member

very good link indeed,

and nice illustration pic's.

HowardW

what do you do? put that mixture on your baccy how?

Folks, sorry for the delay in responding to questions!

What I did was have the mixture in a moderate sized plastic container about the size of a really large leaf and about 4" high, then I soaked the processed leaves (destemed) in the tub overnight. Next day I squezed the excess off and wrapped the leaves on a paddle to make a brick, I let the brick dry as much as it would dry then used the Cutoff tobaccco cutter to shred the brick. I took some of this and chopped the shredded cut stuff in a coffee grinder to the consistance of pipe tobacco. All of this is in Fido jars just aging along with other leaves in the pantry.

HowardW

Folks, better late than never, regarding the chocolate, I need to check what I used, I know the cocoa is cocoa powder though. I do not think it makes much difference if you use Hersheys syrup and other than the fact that I chopped the tobacco too much (more like pipe tobacco now) it has a very pronounced chocolate aroma. It has been aging two years now and I think I will try some, more on that later.

DonH

With casing a little goes a long way. I would just spray some on until it's moist. Soaking in liquid overnight is overkill, so I'm not surprised it has a strong chocolate flavor.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member

Coincidentally, the casings I had formulated for the blends will be delivered tomorrow. They are all glycerine based which I understand is both water and alcohol soluble.

I'll be making the casings available to members only for $2 for enough casing concentrate to treat 1 lb. of shredded tobacco. It will be shipped already in a fine mist spray bottle. Just just add 1/2 ounce of water or grain alcohol when you're ready to use it, shake it up and it's ready to use.

Easy peasy Japanesey

leverhead

Coincidentally, the casings I had formulated for the blends will be delivered tomorrow. They are all glycerine based which I understand is both water and alcohol soluble.

I'll be making the casings available to members only for $2 for enough casing concentrate to treat 1 lb. of shredded tobacco. It will be shipped already in a fine mist spray bottle. Just just add 1/2 ounce of water or grain alcohol when you're ready to use it, shake it up and it's ready to use.

Easy peasy Japanesey

Just as I thought it was safe to forget about casings because they were too much extra work, you go and make it easy. Do you put it on the Burley, or the whole blend?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Each casing is formulated to be applied to the shredded tobacco of each blend. Each blend is different and each blend has its own casing.

Does that make sense? I'm still working and a little blurry headed.

leverhead

Each casing is formulated to be applied to the shredded tobacco of each blend. Each blend is different and each blend has its own casing.

Does that make sense? I'm still working and a little blurry headed.

Yes, it does. Don't work too late, it'll still be there in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.